We welcome applications to our graduate program from international applicants. Here is what you need to know and what you need to send us in order to apply:
- If you are an international applicant, you must apply online, using the Graduate School’s interactive form. Supporting materials must be submitted electronically, using the upload section near the bottom of the application. Acceptable formats include PDF, MS Word .doc or .docx, Text, HTML, jpeg or other standard image file
- The deadline for applications to the PhD program is December 13. For the MA program, we have a February 1 deadline. We have no spring semester or mid-year admission. We urge you to complete your applications as early as possible to allow extra time for meeting immigration requirements.
- All applications must include the following:
- Completed application form.
- Electronic copies of transcripts of all previous undergraduate or graduate coursework. Only admitted applicants will be required to submit official transcripts.
- Three letters of recommendation, submitted electronically.
- Results of the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) test for international applicants whose native language is not English (institution code 2925, department code 14).
- A personal statement, the equivalent of two to three double-spaced typed pages, submitted electronically.
- A substantial sample (15-20 pages) of critical writing on a literary topic, submitted electronically. Creative writing is welcome in addition but since our degree is given for critical thinking and scholarly research, we must see what a student can do in those areas.
- The non-refundable application fee payable to SUNY at Buffalo.
For additional information about the application process, please refer to the other parts of the "Admissions" section of our department website, and in particular, to the "Advice for Applicants" page, where you will find useful information about how to put together your application to our program.
For additional information about applying to UB as an international student visit UB's International Student Admissions web page.
If you have any additional questions, please email us at the following address: email@example.com