Connecting Your Device to a Classroom Display
Learn how to connect your compatible device to the classroom
display through VGA, HDMI, or the provided "Bring Your Own Device"
(BYOD) Adapter Ring.
Operating System: Multiple
Applies To: UB instructors
Last Updated: February 7, 2017
VIDEO: Connecting Personal Devices to Teaching Stations
Arrange a Demo
Need help connecting your device? Planning to record a class
with your device projecting? Call 716-645-3542 and request a
demonstration or test.
Android Devices Not Supported
Android devices may not project properly, if at all.
Available Teaching Station Display Connections
HDMI cable OR VGA (video), 1/8" (audio) cable
BYOD Adapter Ring for devices without HDMI or VGA
Connection cables are either permanently attached to the
Teaching Cabinet, available in the receptacle or stored near or
hanging in the cabinet independently.
1. If you have:
- A Windows laptop with HDMI or VGA port: connect the VGA or HDMI
adapter directly to the VGA or HDMI port on your laptop.
- Another type of device or laptop without VGA or HDMI port:
- Locate the correct adapter for your device on the BYOD Adapter
Ring, attached to the HDMI cable.
- Insert the Teaching Station’s HDMI cable into the
- Insert the other end of the adapter into your device.
Note: Some adapters are very similar. Do not force an adapter into
your device or you may break your device.
2. On the teaching station touchscreen, select Laptop,
- Laptop HDMI for devices connected to the HDMI cable or
adapter and HDMI cable.
- Laptop VGA for devices connected to the VGA cable
See a list of tested devices
Effective January 24, 2017
Compatible devices for BYOD Adapter Ring:
- iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) with lightning connectors
- iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) with 30 pin connectors
- Surface tablets with mini display port connectors
- GoPro cameras with HDMI-D connectors
- Video cameras with HDMI-D connectors
- Apple laptops with mini display port connectors
- Motorola Droid Razr MAXX HD via HDMI-D connector, not
- Motorola Droid Razr HD XT925 via HDMI-D connector, not
- Droid X via HDMI-D connector, not mini-USB
- HTC Butterfly via HDMI-D connector, not mini-USB
- LG Nexus 4 via HDMI-D connector, not mini-USB
- LG Optimus G via HDMI-D connector, not mini-USB
- Samsung Galaxy Note II via HDMI-D connector, not mini-USB
- HTC One VX via HDMI-D connector, not mini-USB
- Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950 Xl via USB-C connectors
- Laptops with standard display port output
Known incompatible devices:
- Kindle Fire
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4
- Nexus 5
- Current Android Devices
I plugged it in but my device isn't displaying. What do I do?
- All devices: Check the HDMI cable is properly attached
to the device (and adapter if applicable).
- Windows laptops: Hold down the Fn function key
and F5 or F8 key (or whichever function key has a
screen icon for "display").
- Macintosh laptops: Go to System Preferences >
Display > Detect Displays > Arrangement and select
My device is displaying but doesn't look correct?
Not all apps are able to rotate. Not all apps and devices
display properly. If you experience problems, contact the UBIT Help Center.
If my course is being recorded, will content from my device be captured?
Some devices and apps have built-in restrictions which prevent
content from being recorded. To ensure your course will be recorded
properly when using your own device, contact Classroom Services at
716-645-3542 to schedule a one-on-one test beforehand.
Will my device charge while connected?
No. The adapters do not charge your device.
My department would love to have BYOD Adapter Rings in our conference room or departmental classrooms. How can I get one?
Your department may purchase one directly from the vendor, if
desired: Liberty AV Solutions #DL-AR2084 HDMI adapter. It
- 1 Interseries adapter micro HDMI "D" male to HDMI "A"
- 1 Interseries adapter Mini-DisplayPort male to HDMI
- 1 Apple Certified Adapter Lightning (M) to HDMI (F) and
Lightning (F) to power device
- 1 Apple Certified Adapter 30 pin (M) to HDMI (F) and 30 pin (F)
to power device
- 1 MHL Compatible micro USB to HDMI adapter cable
- 1 Adapter Cable USB "C" male to HDMI female 9 inches
- 2 Security clamp to attach Apple Adapters to DL-AR
- 1 Base security clamp, cable and hardware for DL-AR system
- Tensile aircraft strength ring & clamp
Our BYOD Adapter Ring also includes an additional adapter,
interseries adapter full sized DisplayPort male to HDMI female
(ARDPHD), which can be purchased separately from the same vendor.
Departments should consider their needs when ordering adapters.