Register to Use Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Create an Amazon Account
Operating System: All
Applies To: UB students and faculty
Last Updated: March 24, 2016
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is for classroom use only by faculty
and staff for teaching and learning purposes, and cannot be used
for any production services or any other activity.
AWS Educate is a collection of cloud computing services that
make up a cloud-computing platform offered by Amazon.com. UB is a
registered participant, providing UB students and faculty with
1. Register to Use AWS
Faculty get $200 in free credit; Students get $100 in free
credit. Any cost beyond that will be charged to a credit card
you register with Amazon.
- Go to https://aws.amazon.com/education/awseducate/apply
- Apply for AWS Educate for Educators if you are a faculty
- Apply for AWS Educate for Students if you are a
- Begin filling in the application. Skip the AWS Account ID
field. Be sure to use your buffalo.edu email address or you will
not receive your credits. Do not click Next; Instead,
click Sign Up Now underneath the AWS Account ID field.
2. Create an Amazon Account
- Enter your buffalo.edu email address.
- Select I am a new user and click Sign in using our
- Complete the registration form with your name, buffalo.edu
email address, a password for your AWS account and the captcha,
then click Create account.
3. Record Payment Method
If you exceed your credit, or if you choose an item not covered
by credit, your credit card will be charged.
- Enter a credit card number, the cardholder's name and the
contact email address to use, then click Continue.
- Enter a cell phone number and click Call Me Now.
- A PIN will be displayed. When you receive the call, enter the
- When you see the Identity Verification complete message,
click Continue to select your support plan.
- Select Basic (Free) and click Continue. Support
plans are not covered by credits.
4. Complete Registration
- Go to https://aws.amazon.com/educate, click Create
Free Account, sign in with your buffalo.edu email address and
the password you created, then click Sign in using our secure
- In the upper right corner, underneath your name, choose My
- Under Account Settings, copy the account number.
- Return to https://aws.amazon.com/education/awseducate/apply/
and enter the number in the AWS Account ID field. Make sure
all other fields on the application are completed, then click
- Check your buffalo.edu email for a verification code, then
enter it, solve the captcha and click Next.
5. Add the Free Credit to Your Account
- Log in to your Amazon Account.
- Underneath your name in the upper right corner, choose My
- On the left side choose Credits.
- Copy the Credit Code from your AWS Educate
Application Approved email and paste it into the Promo
- Enter the captcha Security Check and click Redeem. The
free credits have now been added to your account.
What if I don't have a credit card?
AWS does not provide any alternatives at this time when
I can't remember my AWS password?
Go to https://aws.amazon.com/education/awseducate/
and click Create A Free Account, then click Forgot
I'm a staff member, am I eligible to participate?
Sorry, the program is limited to UB students and faculty.
If I don't use all my free usage, does it roll over?
Sorry, unused usage expires.
How cam I monitor my usage?
By logging into your Account Activity page, you can see current and
past usage activity by service and region, and download usage
Where can I learn more?