Accessing UBIT Services from Off Campus with AnyConnect (Windows, Mac OS X, Ubuntu Linux)
AnyConnect allows you to access UB's network from off campus
from a computer connected to the Internet by creating a "virtual
private network" (VPN). This is necessary to access UBfs, My
Virtual Computing Lab and other services from off campus.
Operating System: Windows, Macintosh OS X, Ubuntu
Applies To: UB students who have paid the Comprehensive
Fee, faculty and staff paid by UB
Last Updated: June 14, 2017
Download and Install Cisco AnyConnect
Free download for eligible UB students, faculty and
Connect to UBVPN to Access UB Services from Off Campus
You must be connected to the Internet using an Internet Service
Provider (ISP) such as Time Warner or Verizon. Each time you want
to access UB services from off campus, connnect to UBVPN with
- Choose your operating system:
- Mac OS X: Select Finder > Applications
> Cisco > Cisco AnyConnect.
- Windows 7/Vista/Ubuntu Linux: Double-click the Cisco
AnyConnect Secure Mobility software icon.
- Windows 8.1/8:
- Swipe or mouse to the top corner of the right side of your
device display. The Charms Bar will appear.
- Click the Search Charm.
- Swipe to the left or press Esc to close the Charms
- Click or tap on the Cisco AnyConnect Secure
Mobility software app.
- Windows 10: Click in the search box and enter Cisco
AnyConnect Secure Mobility.
- Enter vpn.buffalo.edu and click Connect.
- Select UBVPN from the Group dropdown box.
- Enter your UBITName and password in the
Username and Password (Passcode on Mac)
Once you are connected, you can access services like My Virtual
Computing Lab as if you were on campus.
How do I fix the error, "Failed to initialize connection subsystem" in Windows?
Some people with February 2015 Microsoft Security Patches
received this error. Read
How do I fix the error, "The VPN Client agent was unable to create the interprocess communication depot" in Windows?
When you install AnyConnect for Windows, you may need to adjust
your computer's settings:
- Click the Start button.
- Click on Control Panel.
- Click on View Network Status and Tasks.
- Click on Change Adapter Settings.
- Right-click the shared connection and choose
- Click the Sharing tab.
- Clear the Allow other network users to connect through this
computer’s Internet connection checkbox.
- Click OK.