Accessing UBIT Services from Off Campus with AnyConnect (Windows, Mac OS X, Ubuntu Linux)
AnyConnect allows you to access UB's network from off campus from a computer connected to the Internet by creating a "virtual private network" (VPN). This is necessary to access UBfs, My Virtual Computing Lab and other services from off campus.
Operating System: Windows, Macintosh OS X, Ubuntu Linux
Applies To: UB students who have paid the Comprehensive Fee, faculty and staff paid by UB
Last Updated: June 14, 2017
1. Download and Install Cisco AnyConnect
Free download for eligible UB students, faculty and staff.
2. Connect to UBVPN to Access UB Services from Off Campus
You must be connected to the Internet using an Internet Service Provider (ISP) such as Time Warner or Verizon. Each time you want to access UB services from off campus, connnect to UBVPN with AnyConnect.
- Choose your operating system:
- Mac OS X: Select Finder > Applications > Cisco > Cisco AnyConnect.
- Windows 7/Vista/Ubuntu Linux: Double-click the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility software icon.
- Windows 8.1/8:
- Swipe or mouse to the top corner of the right side of your device display. The Charms Bar will appear.
- Click the Search Charm.
- Swipe to the left or press Esc to close the Charms Bar.
- Click or tap on the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility software app.
- Windows 10: Click in the search box and enter Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility.
- Enter vpn.buffalo.edu and click Connect.
- Select UBVPN from the Group dropdown box.
- Enter your UBITName and password in the Username and Password (Passcode on Mac) fields.
Once you are connected, you can access services like My Virtual Computing Lab as if you were on campus.
How do I fix the error, "Failed to initialize connection subsystem" in Windows?
Some people with February 2015 Microsoft Security Patches received this error. Read more >
How do I fix the error, "The VPN Client agent was unable to create the interprocess communication depot" in Windows?
When you install AnyConnect for Windows, you may need to adjust your computer's settings:
- Click the Start button.
- Click on Control Panel.
- Click on View Network Status and Tasks.
- Click on Change Adapter Settings.
- Right-click the shared connection and choose Properties.
- Click the Sharing tab.
- Clear the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection checkbox.
- Click OK.