Immunization and Meningitis Requirements

New York State law requires you to meet certain health-related requirements. 

On this page:

Upload your COVID-19 Vaccination Information to PatientLink

7/29/21: Registered UB students can now upload COVID-19 vaccine documentation to their medical record via the secure Patient Link portal! Please wait until you’ve completed the vaccine series before uploading your document. Click the blue button on this page and log in using your UBIT information. If you have trouble logging in, please email us your COVID vaccine documentation.

What Is Required?

All incoming students must provide an official record in English of their measles, mumps and rubella immunity and meet the meningitis requirements. They must do so before registering for classes.

These regulations are in accordance with New York State Public Health Law 2165.

In addition, new and continuing students in health-related professions must meet additional requirements, as noted below.

Continuing as a UB Student?

  • Only students new to UB need to submit documentation of MMR and Meningitis immunizations.
  • If you were an undergraduate student at UB and are enrolling in a graduate program, you will not need to submit this documentation again.
  • Students pursuing health-related profession programs have additional immunization requirements as noted below.
Please Read

We encourage you to read the requirements and directions carefully to avoid errors that may lead to delays in class registration.

Missing a Vaccination?

If you are missing a vaccination, please contact Health Services to learn your options. You can also view the list of available vaccinations.

Are you an online only student?

Students who are completely remote can choose to submit a waiver form each semester that they are taking classes exclusively online. The waiver enables us to remove your IMM hold through the last day of drop/add for that semester. If you submitted a waiver for Spring 2021, you will need to submit a new form for Fall 2021. To permanently remove the immunization hold, please submit proof of MMR immunity

UB Fall Guidance - COVID-19

We understand you may have questions about how UB will be implementing COVID-19 health and safety measures this fall - including vaccination requirements. Please review the following helpful information sources:

Last updated: August 26, 2021

Meet the Requirements

All students must fulfill the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) requirements, as well as the meningitis requirements. Health major students must also fulfill the requirements listed in the Health Majors tab.

MMR (Everyone) Meningitis (Everyone) Health Majors

Additional Immunization & Health Screening Requirements for Health-Related Program Students

In addition to fulfilling the standard requirements — measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) as well as meningitis information — students in health-related programs must provide additional documentation. Your academic department should notify you if you are in a health-related program; typically, these include the following fields:

  • Dental
  • Medical
  • Nursing
  • Pharmacy
  • Biotechnology
  • Medical Technology
  • Nuclear Medical Technology
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physical Therapy
  • Exercise Science
  • Athletic Training
  • Dietetic Interns
  • Communicative Disorders

Submit Your Forms

Please use one of the following methods to submit your records:

Submitting Your Records
By Email By Mail (USPS) By Fax
Email our office Health Services
Michael Hall, South Campus
3435 Main Street
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14214
International Student Recommendations

• Send your forms as soon as possible to facilitate class registration (consider air mail or an express courier)

• Do not return the forms to International Admissions

Did UB Receive My Medical and Immunization Records?

New/Incoming Students

Once your immunization records have been received, processed, reviewed and deemed compliant with requirements by our immunization coordinator, your IMM and MEN holds will be removed; this will be reflected in your HUB Student Center in real time. This will occur 5-7 business days after we receive your compliant records.

Students will not be individually contacted to confirm receipt of records. Please check the HUB system for the current status of your service indicators.

If your paperwork is not in compliance, you will receive an email from Health Services.

Please contact us only if you have a hold on your account for a prolonged period of time after submitting your records/forms:

  • More than 5 business days (7 business days during high volume months of June, July & August) after faxing or bringing in-person
  • More than 3 weeks after mailing

Returning Students in a Health-Related Program

Please allow 10 business days for Health Services to process your records and update UBlearns.

Need a copy of your immunization records?

Current students can print out their immunization history by using the PatientLink portal.

Former students must complete the Authorization to Release or Obtain Medical Records form and return it to Health Services via fax or mail.

Please note: It takes several weeks for our staff to manually enter student immunization data into this system.  For this reason, the Patient Portal immunization history may not be up to date for all students, especially first year students.

Need Help?

Health Services

Student Life

University at Buffalo
Michael Hall, 3435 Main Street, South Campus
Buffalo, NY 14214

Phone: (716) 829-3316; Fax: (716) 829-2564