Get Help

You can solve many problems and issues yourself, using the resources on this site and throughout UB. And if you still need assistance, there’s always someone who can help you.

On this page:

Everyday Help Resources

Who Can Help You?

Whether it’s your first day on campus or the end of the semester, you can always find someone to talk to if you’re stressed, overwhelmed or just need help. We’ve helped thousands of students adjust to life at UB, and we want to be your first stop whenever you need help. Come talk with us anytime you need a different perspective, or you have questions about what to expect. Meet our transition specialists.

Just for You

First-Year Students

New people. New environments. New expectations. As a first-year student, you’re experiencing a lot of new things all at once. UB's Transition Specialists are here to help. You can talk with your residence advisor (RA), Counseling Services or a Transition Specialist about anything that’s on your mind, including:

  • Being away from home
  • Gaining your independence
  • Managing your own time
  • Living with a roommate
  • Learning how to problem-solve
  • Being part of a community
  • Dealing with partying and alcohol use

Transfer Students

Whether you’re transferring from a community college, a small private school or a large public university, we can help. Our transfer ambassadors and transition specialists will help you make the switch to UB as easy as possible.

Transfer E-Newsletter

Get insider tips for transfer students, strategies for success and information about upcoming events. This newsletter is written by transfer students for transfer students. Check your email at the beginning of each month for the transfer e-newsletter.

Meet Your Transfer Ambassador

As a new transfer student, you’re assigned a transfer ambassador to help you throughout your transition to UB. You can connect with your transfer ambassador through email, in person at university events and programs, or just informally based on your schedules. Every transfer ambassador is a student who transferred to UB in the past, so they understand what it’s like to be new at UB. Of course, even as a transfer student you still have full access to UB’s Transition Specialists.

“Take a chance. Join a club, say hello to that stranger... take an honest chance. College is a great chance to meet people and make memories. It’s important to get out of your comfort zone!”

- Ayman Mustafa

“The Career Services office is my favorite resource at UB. Whether you are looking for an internship or preparing to nail an interview for your dream job, this office has staff that are always willing to help!”

- Blake Peterson

“I love Buffalo. I’m from the area and missed it when I was away. I knew UB was the school I wanted to transfer to right away!”

- Katie Teal

“My favorite resource is definitely Lockwood Library. I’m there all the time getting work done and studying. Also, the printers are super-fast for a place that accommodates several hundred students.”

- Chris Sadocha

“My advice to new students is to embrace the change. UB is such a wonderful school with endless opportunities. So, get comfortable with being uncomfortable and throw yourself out there and take advantage of everything UB has to offer.”

- Mallorie O’Brien

“I chose UB because of the massive student body. UB has given me the chance to meet tons of new people who each have their own set of ideas, thoughts, beliefs, et cetera.”

- Josh Herman

“My advice is to stay connected. With such a huge university, it is easy to get lost in the mix. Staying connected with a club, small group, or even a couple of friends will ensure that you feel part of the UB community. Also try to make new connections often. You only have this experience once, make the best of it!”

- Crystal Lewis


“My favorite resource at UB is the resume workshop. A resume is extremely important for any college grad. The workshop helps students craft a professional resume they can provide to an employer.”

- Aaron Scheff

“I chose UB for many reasons. I wanted a big school so I get all different kinds of people and I wanted to be a part of a lively, spirit-filled community. I saw myself being very successful here — academically and socially.”

- Bennett Ockun

Graduate Students

The Graduate School and your program can help answer your questions about Buffalo and UB, and make sure you have everything you need. If you are an international student, you can get additional support from International Student and Scholar Services.

International Students

As an international student, you may have more questions about life at UB. We strongly encourage you to talk with someone at International Student and Scholar Services. Their trained staff and student mentors can offer proven advice, connect you with the right resources and help you feel right at home.

Commuter Students

We’re here to help you balance school with family, so you can meet new friends and achieve your goals. You’re always welcome to come talk with one of our transition specialists.

Advice from UB Commuter Students

Get involved. Joining a club, being part of a sports team or getting an on-campus job can help you feel more connected to campus.

Park and ride. Go straight to one of our Park and Ride lots, then take a convenient shuttle to the heart of campus.

Eat on campus. It’s easy to meet your friends for dinner or grab a snack between class when you sign up for Dining Dollars — a flexible, tax-free option that you can use at all UB dining facilities.

Find a place to study. Don’t waste time between classes and activities. Find a library, Academic Study Center, or just a quiet spot in your favorite academic building.

Go to the gym. As a commuter, you can use your UB Card to swipe in for gym access at all recreation facilities.

Specialized Help

Students in Recovery

Campus Services

UB recognizes the extraordinary perseverance it takes for students in recovery to maintain a sober lifestyle.  A number of campus resources are available to support and assist students in recovery achieve their academic and personal goals:

Get Involved

The Students in Recovery Task Force is looking for students who identify as being in recovery to assist in the further development of support and resources on campus. If you would like to inquire about further involvement, please contact Marla McBride at 716-645-6937. 

Community Treatment Providers
Community Support Groups

For campus-based NA meeting dates/locations, please contact Wellness Education Services at 645-2837.

Student Life Departments