Policies and Guidelines for all SUNY and university awards and faculty recognition listed here are distributed annually during the respective nomination periods. Units and departments should carefully review the nomination solicitation letter from the Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs and the attached guidelines for updates and supplemental information during each nomination cycle.
Please note, as per SUNY guidelines:
Campus Nomination Process: "The Distinguished Professorship programs nominations forwarded to the System-level must be the product of an objective and rigorous campus review." That process is outlined in detail in the aforementioned nomination soliciation letter sent during each nomination cycle.
All nominations, for both distinguished ranks and for the Chancellor's awards for excellence, must be routed through each department and/or unit selection committee. Nominations must come forward through this process to the local campus committee. See SUNY guidelines regarding the role of the committee and the Campus President regarding forwarding nominations to SUNY. Additional information typically included in that soliciation regarding the dossiers and deadlines follow below:
SUNY Appointment to the Ranks of Distinguished Professor, Distinguished Service and Distinguished Teaching Professor.
Created by the State University Board of Trustees as a prestigious system-level distinction, the Distinguished Faculty Rank (DFR) programs recognize and reward SUNY’s finest and most accomplished faculty.
The Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs administers the nomination process for:
UB Internal Directions for Distinguished Series Dossier Guidelines include (in the following order):
General Restrictions on Eligibility
The following are special conditions, applicable to all programs that limit eligibility:
• faculty holding Distinguished Faculty Rank – Distinguished Librarian, Distinguished Professor, Distinguished Service Professor, or Distinguished Teaching Professor – may not be nominated for another Distinguished Faculty Rank designation;
• faculty holding qualified academic appointments (as defined in Board of Trustees policies: individuals holding titles of academic rank that are preceded by the designation …“visiting” or other similar designations) may not be nominated; 1
• faculty holding a concurrent administrative appointment above the level of department chair for which they receive extra compensation are ineligible for the DSP;
• faculty who have retired or faculty serving in part-time capacities are ineligible; and
• posthumous nominations are not permissible.
The Chancellor's Awards for Excellence are system-level honors conferred to acknowledge and provide system-wide recognition for consistently superior professional achievement and to encourage the ongoing pursuit of excellence.
The Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs administers the nomination process for Chancellor's Awards for Excellence in:
UB Internal Directions for Chancellor’s Award Dossier Guidelines include (in the following order):
Each award has program-specific eligibility criteria; nonetheless, there are eligibility criteria common to all. Regardless of program, nominees must have completed three academic years of full-time appointment out of the five years just prior to the year of nomination. Individuals serving in part-time, or visiting capacities - irrespective of the length of their service or amount of their involvement - are ineligible for these programs. However, please note that full-time Clinical faculty are eligible for nomination in the following categories: Faculty Service, Scholarship and Creative Activities, and Teaching. Full-time non-tenure track faculty are now eligible for nomination in the Teaching category only. Please see eligibility chart noted below:
|Eligible for Nomination||Faculty Service||Scholarship & Creative Activities||Teaching|
|Full-time, tenure or tenure track faculty||X||X||X|
|Full-time, clinical faculty||X||X||X|
|Full-time non-tenure track faculty||X|
* Policies and Guidelines for the above listed awards and faculty recognition are distributed annually during the respective nomination periods. Units and departments should carefully review the nomination solicitation letter from the Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs and the attached guidelines for updates and supplemental information during each nomination cycle.