A junior faculty member tries to obtain a letter of support for a grant application from her department chair, but senses that he is reluctant to provide it.
The case can be used to help develop career skills that may be useful to achieving long-term success, such as:
- Building Your Professional Support Network for Career Resilience
- Communicating Your Impacts
Upon completion of this case, students will be able to:
- Recognize workplace gender biases related to career advancement.
- Identify strategies for building one’s professional support network for career advancement.
- Identify strategies for “managing up.”
- Identify strategies for communicating one’s impacts and accomplishments.