The only female member of Physics promotion committee struggles to prove that a fellow female faculty member in the department is worthy of the promotion to a full professorship.
The case can be used to help develop career skills that may be useful to achieving long-term success, such as:
- Building your professional support network
- Communicating your impacts
- Becoming a change agent in your organization
- Negotiating Employment Conditions
- Understanding Meritocratic ideologies
Upon completion of this case, students will be able to:
- Recognize workplace gender biases related to career advancement.
- Understand sexism and so-called benevolent sexism as concepts;
- Identify strategies for building one’s professional support network for career advancement.
- Identify strategies for communicating one’s impacts and accomplishments.
- Recognize who your allies are in the workplace, and recognize who is not.