This case addresses a dilemma in which an early-career female engineer is first befriended by, and then becomes romantically entangled with, a more senior and more powerful colleague at work, leading to a number of conflicts of interest.
The case can be used to help develop career skills that may be useful to achieving long-term success, such as:
- Managing conflict / Respectful confrontation
- Cultivating resilience in the face of adversity
- Understanding Workplace Conflicts of Interest
Upon completion of this case, students will be able to:
- Understand relationship conflicts of interest in the workplace and identify common risks;
- Formulate a strategic multi-step plan for action using a decision tree model;
- Recognize the value of an intentionally developed professional support network;
- Preserve one’s career trajectory in the face of an adverse and conflicted relationship at work.