A PhD civil engineering student contemplates quitting the degree program as her confidence is shaken while working as a TA for a male professor who has created a hostile work environment.
The case can be used to help develop career skills that may be useful to achieving long-term success, such as:
- Managing conflict / Respectful confrontations
- Cultivating resilience in the face of adversity
- Working smarter, not harder
- Understanding the Intersection of Gender & Race (Diversity)
- Managing workplace Harassment & Hostile Work environments
- Overcoming Stereotype threat / Impostor Syndrome
- Taking Legal Actions/Collecting Evidence/Data.
Upon completion of this case, students will be able to:
- Understand particular risks that are present for women of color in STEM workplaces
- Recognize and describe workplace harassment / hostile workplaces
- Formulate a strategic plan for action
- Determine what the next steps should be for the protagonist