Class struggle, feminism, colonialism, and world literature
- A Rational Millennium: Puritan Utopias of Seventeenth-Century England and America (Oxford University Press, 1987).
- Author of Ehud’s Dagger: Class Struggle in the English Revolution (Verso Books, 2000). Winner of the 2002 Isaac and Tamara Deutscher Memorial Prize.
- Editor of Pamphlet Wars: Prose in the English Revolution (Frank Cass, 1992)
- “Black Abdiel and the Higher Law: James Monroe Whitfield vs. the Fillmore Faction (1853).” Forthcoming in ELH.
- “Shoot and Cry: Realism, Modernism, and the Iraq War Fiction of Justin Sirois and Kevin Powers.” Cultural Critique, no. 104, 2020.
- “‘Mr. Kayerts. He is Dead’: Literary Realism and Conrad's Outpost of Progress.” ELH, vol. 85, no. 1, Spring 2018.
- “Buffalo Unsteeled: Connie Porter, Leslie Feinberg, and the Persistence of Proletarian Fiction.” The Journal of English Language and Literature (JELL), vol. 63, no. 1, 2017.
- “‘Nasty, nasty’: Incest, Islamism, and History in Hadji Murat.” Tolstoy Studies, vol. 28, 2016.
- “Antigone Becomes Jocasta: Soha Bechara, Résistante, and Incendies.” Mediations: Journal of the Marxist Literary Group, vol. 29, no. 1, Fall 2015.
- “Utopia Pre-Empted: Kett’s Rebellion, Commoning, and the Hysterical Sublime.” Historical Materialism, vol. 16, no. 3, 2008.
- “The Spider, the Fly, and the Commonwealth: John Heywood and Agrarian Class Struggle.” ELH, vol. 71, no. 1, Spring 2004.
- “‘God bless thee, little David!’: John Felton and His Allies,” ELH, vol. 59, no. 3, Autumn 1992.
- “‘Will you rent our ancient love asunder?’: Lesbian Elegy in Donne, Marvell, and Milton.” ELH, vol. 54, no. 4, Winter 1987.
- “Tragic Superfluity in Coriolanus.” ELH 50.3, Autumn 1983.
Major Awards and Fellowships
- 1990-1991: NEH Fellowship
- 2002: Isaac and Tamara Deutscher Memorial Prize for Ehud’s Dagger.
Works in Progress
- A book on social reproduction and the global feminist proletarian novel.
- An essay on Simone de Beauvoir, Nawal el Saadawi, and Social Reproduction
- Essays on the realist socialist-feminist fiction of Palestinian novelist Sahar Khalifeh.
- Essays on the modernist settler-colonial fiction of Israeli novelist S. Yizhar.
- An essay on the Alabama communist sharecropper Ned Cobb.
- An essay on Freud, sexual assault, and Milton’s Eve.