Other Options for Taking UB Courses

Students talking in a classroom.

Expand your academic horizons without pursuing a bachelor's degree.

There are many opportunities for you to attend classes at the University at Buffalo even if you are not seeking a UB degree. Non-degree options are great if you are looking for a short-term experience without a long-term commitment away from your home country. Our high-quality courses are taught by dedicated faculty, and you’ll get the chance to explore what the United States and the Buffalo-Niagara region have to offer.

What is non-degree study?

Non-degree study (sometimes called non-matriculated study) includes forms of study that do not lead to a degree. There are several types, but here is what is common to all non-degree students:

  • You are enrolled on a semester-by-semester or course-by-course basis and have not been accepted as a regular student pursuing a degree.
  • You are not admitted to a specific major or department.
  • You generally are not eligible to take higher-level, major-only courses.
  • Your study is limited to a specified number of credits each semester / term as well as in total.

Who can apply for non-degree study?

Already in the U.S.

Non-U.S. citizens and non-permanent residents currently residing in the U.S. on a valid visa may apply for non-degree study in any term (fall and spring semesters, and winter and summer terms).

Outside the U.S.

International students living outside the United States are welcome to apply for non-degree study at UB for the summer or winter sessions.

International students living outside the U.S. are NOT typically permitted to engage in non-degree study during the fall or spring semesters.

Study abroad and exchange students

If you are an international student living outside the United States and your current school has a formal exchange agreement with the University at Buffalo, we encourage you to apply to and benefit from one of the best public universities in the U.S.!

Concurrent enrollment

Why spend your entire U.S. college experience in the same place? Spend a term in the beautiful Buffalo-Niagara region and explore a new part of the country during your studies.

If you are already registered at a U.S. college or university on an F-1 Student Visa, you may be eligible to take non-degree classes at the University at Buffalo. This is called “concurrent enrollment.” You can apply for concurrent enrollment for any term of study.

In order to apply for concurrent enrollment, you must:

If you are on an F-1 visa as a currently enrolled full-time student at another college or university in the United States, or if you are on OPT (Optional Practical Training), you may qualify for concurrent enrollment without needing to transfer your SEVIS record.


If you are currently enrolled full time at one of our partner institutions in the Western New York area, you can choose to take a class at the University at Buffalo while also taking classes at your current school.

To cross-register for UB courses you will need to get the cross-registration form from your current school. Complete and submit it in person to the Student Response Center (SRC) at 232 Capen Hall on the UB North Campus.