Mandatory Health Insurance

All J-1 Exchange Visitors are required by the U.S. Department of State to have health insurance coverage plus medical evacuation/repatriation insurance for themselves and any accompanying dependents on J visas for the duration of their J program. The State University of New York (SUNY) system also requires participants in international educational exchange (J-1 and J-2 Exchange Visitors) to have health insurance coverage that meets SUNY’s requirements.

You and any accompanying J-2 dependent must have health insurance coverage plus medical evacuation/repatriation insurance for the duration of the DS-2019. You are still required to maintain health insurance even if you and your dependents are out of the U.S. for any period of time during your exchange visitor program.  

You can purchase health insurance from the Student Medical Insurance Office.



The information contained on this web page is provided as a service to the international faculty, researchers, staff, employees and administrators of University at Buffalo, and does not constitute legal advice on any immigration, tax, or other matter. We try to provide useful information, but we make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to this web site or any associated site. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent counsel. Neither the University at Buffalo nor the Office of UB Immigration Services is responsible for any errors or omissions contained on this web page, or for the results obtained from the use of this information.


Email:        Tel. Number: (716) 645-2355