International Visitors and Honoraria

International Honorarium.

Payment of honoraria can be made to a foreign visitor who enters the U.S. holding a visitor for business visa (B-1) or a visa waiver for business (WB).* Individuals who are already in the U.S. on visitor for pleasure visas (B-2) or visa waivers for pleasure (WT)* may also receive honoraria if the opportunity to render services arises after the individual has entered the U.S. In addition, certain conditions, which are listed below, must be met.

* To find out if the foreign visitor is eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and is, therefore, exempt from the requirement to have a U.S. visa in order to enter the U.S., please visit  If the foreign visitor’s country of citizenship is on the VWP list, then s/he does not need to apply for a B-1/B-2 visa. Please note as well that Canadian citizens do not need a visa to enter the U.S.


Honorarium is defined as a gratuitous payment, gift, travel reimbursement or reimbursement of incidental expenses (lodging, meals and/or supplies) which is not made in exchange for services constituting employment.


The information contained on this web page is provided as a service to the international faculty, researchers, staff, employees and administrators of University at Buffalo, and does not constitute legal advice on any immigration, tax, or other matter. We try to provide useful information, but we make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to this web site or any associated site. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent counsel. Neither the University at Buffalo nor the Office of UB Immigration Services is responsible for any errors or omissions contained on this web page, or for the results obtained from the use of this information.


Email:        Tel. Number: (716) 645-2355