The current application deadlines in the Anthropology Deaprtment
The following materials are required for each application:
1. A complete online application form.
2. A $75 non-refundable application fee. Before you submit your online application, you may pay the application fee online through UB e-Pay with a credit card using the links below:
3. Electronic transcripts uploaded with your application. Students must supply transcripts from all colleges and universities that you have attended. Official transcripts will be required if you are admitted and choose to matriculate to a graduate program at the University at Buffalo.
4. Results of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE):
Have the testing service send official scores directly to the university using the codes above. The department has no set GRE score minimum, but expects students to present strong scores for admission to both the MA and PhD programs in Anthropology.
Applicants should note that the undergraduate grade point average and GRE scores required for admission to the Anthropology MA and PhD programs may be higher than those set by the Graduate School at UB.
5. Three confidential letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic work. After you submit your application for final review, your reviewers will receive an email invitation to our online recommendation portal where letters can be uploaded. Please ensure to fill in all contact information fields for your reviewers.
6. A writing sample.
7. A current curriculum vitae (CV).
8. Financial Form and support documentation showing your ability to meet all educational and living expenses for your intended study at the University at Buffalo.
9. Copy of passport bio-page
10. Official results of the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam:
Have the testing service send official scores directly to the university using the codes above. Minimum score:
More information on international graduate admissions at UB may be found on The Graduate School "Information for International Students" page.
If you are interested in registering for Anthropology graduate courses on a non-matriculated basis, you must submit a non-degree application available through The Gradaute School. Applicants should also upload all supporting application materials through this electronic application.
The Department of Anthropology requires the following:
Please note non-matriculated students are not allowed to register for the below survey courses intended for matriculated anthropology graduate students only:
Director of Graduate Studies; Associate Professor
Department of Anthropology
Phone: (716) 645-3080
Graduate Studies Coordinator
Department of Anthropology
Phone: (716) 645-6242
We invite all applicants to the PhD program to submit completed application materials by December 15 for funding consideration.