1. Name, hometown, year, major and personal passion: Hello! My name is Valerie Juang (she/her) and I grew up in the city of Buffalo. I am in the graduating class of 2025 pursuing a Psychology BS and Politics, Philosophy, and Economics BA. My personal passion is developing a thorough, compassionate, and solutions-oriented perspective on humanity and life. Although much of life is not within your control, developing your perspective according to your values allows you to live a life that is healthier, happier, and more fulfilling. Bonus points: happiness is infectious!
2. Why did you decide to work with UB Sustainability? As a co-founder and organizer of the WNY Youth Climate Council, working at UB Sustainability seemed like a natural next step. I'm excited to be working towards equity and community engagement in a team that leads UB to consistent national rankings for sustainable development.
3. What do you love most about UB? I love that UB is a school of opportunity. From jobs, internships, and clubs to educational events with complimentary food (for some reason, the cookies are always really good), there is always fun to be had, a community to join, and a social contribution to be made.
4. When you visit UB in 25 years, what do you hope to find? When I visit UB in 25 years, I hope to see more accessible service learning opportunities based in the local community and student access to therapist-social workers for confidential mental healthcare and connections to resources. I would also like to see more greenspace designed for socializing or studying near campus buildings!
5. Fun fact/secret skill: Before moving to Buffalo, I spent six years in NYC professionally studying to become an actress. But it turns out that my interest in acting was more an interest in psychology!