1. Name, hometown, year, major and personal passion: Hi there, My name is Andy Whitehead, and I am from New York City. I came to Buffalo in 2017, and am currently in my second year of the MSW program. I am passionate about impacting ongoing change and empowering myself and others to do the same.
2. Why did you decide to work with UB Sustainability? As the Environmental Justice SA, this seemed like the perfect combination of my interest in sustainability and my career in social work. I have always been interested in promoting sustainable living, but also see the complexities and injustices that affect certain communities. I hope to be able to inspire other students and expand on community partnerships to educate and influence change.
3. What do you love most about UB? UB has been my home for the past 6 years. I love how UB has so much to offer for students to get involved in, and if it doesn't exist, students have the power to create and expand. It can be challenging coming into such a big school in one's first year, but UB has the potential for people to find community and their home. (I apologize for how cheesy that was).
4. When you visit UB in 25 years, what do you hope to find? I want to see UB continue to "beautify" its buildings and expand on a student support services center. I would love to see social workers have more of a place in higher-ed to work directly with students and provide resources to the larger UB community. Oh, and a bakery!
5. Fun fact/secret skill: I had 12 hamsters growing up... and hope to never have a hamster ever again. Secret skill: I love to cook and to bake, and actually helped pay my way into college through my baking!