BUFFALO, N.Y. – Thousands of undergraduate and graduate students will don caps and gowns this weekend during the University at Buffalo’s 2019 commencement ceremonies.
Some 5,799 students will receive degrees and certifications during ceremonies being held through May 22.
UB no longer holds a traditional University Commencement, instead splitting the large ceremony honoring College of Arts and Sciences baccalaureate recipients into two separate ceremonies differentiated by departments, which will be held at 9:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. May 19 in Alumni Arena.
Also among this year’s highlights:
- Rebecca J. McCormick-Boyle, BS ’81, rear admiral and commander, Nurse Corps (retired), U.S. Navy, will be awarded the SUNY Honorary Doctorate in Science at the ceremony honoring graduates of the School of Nursing at 9 a.m. May 17 in Alumni Arena, North Campus.
- Engineering alumnus Ashutosh Sharma, an internationally renowned chemical engineer, will receive a SUNY Honorary Doctorate in Science and Amit Goyal, SUNY Empire Innovation Professor and founding director of UB’s RENEW Institute, will receive the UB President’s Medal in recognition of extraordinary service to the university at the commencement ceremonies for graduate students in the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences at 1 p.m. May 17 in Alumni Arena.
- Andrea Ó Súilleabháin, executive director of the Partnership for the Public Good, will speak at the School of Social Work commencement ceremony at 9 a.m. May 18 in the Center for the Arts, North Campus.
- Erie County Health Commissioner Gale Burstein, MD '90, will speak at the commencement ceremony for the School of Public Health and Health Professions at 1 p.m. May 18 in the Center for the Arts.
- The Hon. Maite D. Oronoz-Rodriguez, chief justice of the Supreme Court of Puerto Rico, will speak, Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul will receive the Dean’s Medal, and a SUNY Honorary Doctorate in Laws will be awarded to Julio M. Fuentes, JD ’75, senior U.S. Circuit Court judge, U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, during the ceremony honoring graduates of the School of Law at 3 p.m. May 19 in the Center for the Arts.
The entire UB commencement schedule is available here: http://www.buffalo.edu/news/releases/2019/04/048.html.