UB’s EOC offers free tax preparation for low- and moderate-income households

Release Date: January 27, 2015 This content is archived.

“We're proud to be able to continue and enhance this service to the communities in the surrounding area. ”
Zachary Howe, EOC coordinator of business affairs
University at Buffalo

BUFFALO, N.Y. – Individuals and families looking for help with their taxes can get free tax preparation again this year through a program offered through the University at Buffalo’s Educational Opportunity Center.

The program, administered by Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, offers free tax preparation and advice for individuals and families who meet certain income guidelines. Those whose 2014 income is below $53,000 are invited to contact VITA at the Educational Opportunity Center to see if they are eligible.

UB’s EOC VITA site has operated downtown for over 20 years, according to Zachary J. Howe, coordinator of business affairs for the EOC. In 2013, the VITA site moved to the new Arthur O. Eve Educational Opportunity Center building at 555 Ellicott St., adjacent to UB’s Gateway Building downtown.

“Last year alone the EOC program estimates it saved taxpayers over $160,000,” says Howe. “We have collaborated with local non-profits including United Way and the Buffalo Federation of Neighborhood Centers to make this possible. We're proud to be able to continue and enhance this service to the communities in the surrounding area."

The clinic began Jan. 26 and continues until April 15.

The schedule of visits and appointments is:

  • Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4-8 p.m. (for walk-ins).
  • Wednesdays, by appointment only, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
  • Saturdays (Feb. 14, March 14, April 11): Walk-ins from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

For appointments call 211. For more information, call 716-645-1865.

Howe says the following 10 documents are needed for VITA workers to provide these tax services:

  1. Proof of identification (government-issued ID for each adult).
  2.  Original Social Security card for each filer and dependent.
  3. Tuition expenses statement (1098-T) and/ or student loan interest.
  4. Wage and earning statements (Forms W-2 and 1099) from all employers.
  5. Interest and dividend statements (Form 1099).
  6. New this year: Forms 1095-A, B or C (Affordable Health Care Act Statements)
  7. Total paid for day care provider and provider's tax ID number.
  8. A copy of last year's federal and state tax returns, if available.
  9. Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit.
  10. If married filing a joint return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.

Media Contact Information

Charles Anzalone
News Content Manager
Educational Opportunity Center, Law,
Nursing, Honors College, Student Activities

Tel: 716-645-4600