Master's Level Funding

Continuing your studies as a graduate student is a significant investment in your future, and financing your education is a critical factor to consider. Master's programs are largely self-funded and most master's students require additional financial support. 

Find a Source of Funding

Financial Aid

Students seeking financial aid to assist with educational costs are strongly encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually. The FAFSA asks for general identification and income information to determine your eligibility for all financial aid programs sponsored by the federal government. Remember to add UB's Federal School Code (SUNY at Buffalo—002837).


Grant money is generally awarded based on financial availability and also on meeting certain criteria such as degree being sought or jobs pursued. Unlike loans, grants do not have to be repaid unless you are awarded funds incorrectly or you withdraw from school. Grant monies can come from many sources such as the federal and state government. 


Fellowships and graduate assistantships are available for master's students, but are limited. Most funding for master's level education comes in the form of a job.


Employer-funded education programs are one of the best ways to help pay for your graduate education. Check with your employer to see if there are funding opportunities or tuition reimbursement programs available. Graduate education is included in many corporate and government benefit plans and can range from providing tuition reimbursement or scholarships to financing select job-related coursework.

Funding may also be available through any professional organization or unions that you are part of. 


To help you meet the expenses of a graduate education, there are loan programs available. A loan is money that you borrow which must be repaid, often with interest. There are several kinds of loans available to graduate students.

Fellowships & Scholarships

Fellowships are grants that you do not have to pay back and generally involve no work obligations. There are both internal and external awards available.

Learn about the types of institutional funding, internal University at Buffalo awards and things to consider when applying for graduate school funding.

International Students

International graduate students may be eligible for scholarships, assistantships, fellowships and grants from departments and programs that offer such funding. Requirements and deadlines vary by department. To find out about these options, contact your program.