Published September 19, 2019
Charles Garton, a longtime faculty member in the Department of Classics, died July 5 in Ann Arbor, Mich., after a long illness. He was 92.
A native of Yorkshire, England, Garton joined the UB faculty as a visiting associate professor in classical studies in 1965. He received tenure and was promoted to full professor in 1972.
An authority on Roman theater, his published work included several books, poems, articles, reviews and monographs. He was also in demand as a translator and editor.
Garton was one of the founding editors — and the first editor-in chief — of Arethusa, one of the leading journals in the field of classics that is based at UB.
He retired from UB in 1991.
In his later years, Garton spent considerable time documenting the history of Lincoln School, which he attended from 1937-1944, writing a six-volume account of 760 years of its history. He collected and donated a large volume of archival material to the school and endowed an archive room that bears his name at the Lincoln Christ Hospital School.
Funeral services were held in Ann Arbor and in Lincoln, England.