The BUFFALO FUND: ACCELERATOR is a technology commercialization accelerator fund administered by
the University at Buffalo and supported by Empire State Development.
UB and it's partner institutions continue to build a
comprehensive hub for innovation and entrepreneurship.
This is one of many initiatives.
Principal Investigators from the Partner Institutions, as defined in the Program Guide (below), are eligible to submit applications for funding.
Eligible Partner Institutions include:
- University at Buffalo
- Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute
- Kaleida Health
- Jacobs Institute
The average award amount is expected to be about $50,000 released in tranches upon successful completion of each of two to three milestones.
Awards of up to $100,000 per project may be approved but will require very clear justification for the amount requested with well-defined milestones and measures of success.
Larger budgets are more likely to be associated with life science technologies where expenses tend to be higher than, for example, software development projects.
Funds may be used, for example, to:
- Build prototypes
- Conduct commercial feasibility tests
- Complete software coding or user interface development
- Accomplish work that demonstrates a mitigation of risk for potential licensees
- Address a specific gap identified by industry that impairs the ability to
license or attract capital
- Strengthen or broaden patent claims, but only if the project also advances
ACCELERATOR supports technology development projects that will
(a) facilitate the formation of an investible start-up company that will further develop and commercialize the technology, or
(b) enable an innovation to become more attractive for licensing and/or partnering with established companies.
1. A Pre-Proposal Application endorsed by your Partner Institution designated official must be submitted to the Program Manager by the date posted under the Program Schedule below.
2. Pre-Proposals will be sent for an external assessment and then reviewed by an External Review Committee.
3. Approximately ten (10) Principal Investigators will be invited to submit a Full Proposal. Full Proposals are expected to include input from "customer discovery" activity and two letters of support. Please see Program Guide for details.
4. Full Proposals will be reviewed by the External Review Committee and each Principal Investigator is required to give a ten (10) minute presentation followed by a fifteen (15) minute Q&A to address any open questions.
5. Following deliberation by the External Review Committee, approximately seven (7) Full Proposals will be funded in whole or, in part, if modifications are recommended by the External Review Committee.
6. Please see the Resources section below for application guides and forms.
|Thursday, Aug.1||Round 2 Pre-Proposals endorsed by your Partner Institution must be submitted to email@example.com|
|Thursday, Sept.12||Round 2 Pre-Proposal results. PI's invited to submit Full Proposals will be notified.|
|Thursday Oct. 3||Round 2 Full Proposals Due. Must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Friday, Oct.1 8||Presentation Workshop|
|Oct. 28 & 29||Presentation Practice Sessions|
|Thursday Nov. 7||Full Proposal Applicant Presentations to External Review Committee|
|Tuesday Nov. 12-Thursday Nov.14||Notification of Award Decisions|
January - April 2020
|Program Guide||Provides a Program Summary and Program Details to help you prepare your application at each stage of the review process.|
|Pre-Proposal Guide||Provides instructions on what information is required in each section of the Pre-Proposal Application.|
|Pre-Proposal Application||A fillable Word form to be endorsed by your Partner Institution designated official prior to submission.|
|Pre-Proposal Scoring Form||Provides the scoring criteria to be used by the External Review Committee.|
|Full Proposal Guide||Provides instructions on what information is required in each section of the Pre-Proposal Application.|
|Full Proposal Application||A fillable Word form to be endorsed by your Partner Institution designated official prior to submission.|
|Full Proposal Scoring Form||Provides the scoring criteria to be used by the External Review Committee.|
|Business Model Canvas Template||This is an optional part of your Pre-Proposal or Full Proposal Application. It is a useful tool when assessing the market opportunity for your envisioned product or service.|
|Program FAQ||Provides frequently asked questions and answers.|
|Partner Institution||Designated Official|
|University at Buffalo|| |
Director, Technology Transfer
|Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center|| |
Director, Office of Technology Transfer and Commercial Development
(716) 845-1300 Ext. 6955
|Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute|| |
Chief Operating Officer
|Kaleida Health|| |
Executive Vice President, Chief Medical Officer
|Jacobs Institute|| |
Vice President, Technology and Operations