Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe or Latin America


Travel to Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe or Latin America and Re-Entry to the United States (Excluding Travel to & Re-entry from Canada, Mexico & Caribbean Islands)

Information for International Scholars & Employees

What documents do I need to re-enter the U.S.?

1. An unexpired Passport

You are required to have a passport that is valid for six months beyond your period of intended stay in the U.S.  Exception: Citizens of countries on the “Six-Month Club”  list can re-enter the U.S. with less than six months of validity as long as their passport is still valid.  If your country of citizenship is NOT on this list, DO NOT attempt to enter the U.S. unless you have at least six months of validity on your passport.

2. Proof of your Immigration Status

  • If you are in J-1 status: Your DS-2019 with a travel signature that is less than one year old
  • If you are in H-1B status: Your unexpired Form I-797 Approval Notice

3. An unexpired U.S. Visa Stamp

If your U.S. visa stamp has expired, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.

Frequently Asked Immigration and Visa Questions

What if I am working pursuant to post-completion OPT?

If you are on post-completion Optional Practical Training you must have the following items in addition to the items mentioned above:

  • Your Employment Authorization Document ("EAD")
  • Chair's letter on department letterhead confirming employment.  In addition to identifying you and your academic title, the letter must indicate that you are in F-1 status, in post-completion OPT, and your job duties.

I've changed my immigration status since I entered the U.S. Now, my status is different from my visa stamp. Do I need to apply for a new U.S. visa stamp to re-enter the U.S.?

Yes. You need to get a new visa stamp from a U.S. consulate. Your visa stamp must be valid and must match your current status in order for you to re-enter the U.S.

If you traveled ONLY to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean Islands for less than 30 days, you may not need a new visa stamp. Please read our information on automatic visa revalidation to confirm this. 

What documents does my dependent need to travel and re-enter the U.S.?

      Your dependent spouse or minor children should carry the following documents in order to re-enter the U.S.:

  1. Valid passport
  2. Valid U.S. visa stamp
  3. Valid dependent Form DS-2019 or H-4 approval notice (if applicable)
  4. Photocopy of your documents (your passport, visa AND your DS-2019 or H-1B approval notice)
  5. Proof of financial funding
  6. Photocopy of spouse’s Employment Authorization Document (EAD card) and letter verifying employment (if applicable)


The information contained on this web page is provided as a service to the international faculty, researchers, staff, employees and administrators of University at Buffalo, and does not constitute legal advice on any immigration, tax, or other matter. We try to provide useful information, but we make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to this web site or any associated site. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent counsel. Neither the University at Buffalo nor the Office of UB Immigration Services is responsible for any errors or omissions contained on this web page, or for the results obtained from the use of this information.


Email:        Tel. Number: (716) 645-2355