Krista Hanypsiak receives the 2015 SLICE award on behalf of the Honors College at the 2015 UB Sustainability Summit
2015 SLICE award winners:
- Faculty Award for Sustainability in Higher Education– Alan Rabideau, professor in the Department of Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering. For more the two decades, Rabideau has been a leader at infusing sustainability philosophy and actions at UB.
- Staff Award for Sustainable Operations Initiative– Russ Crispell, director of Outdoor Pursuits in the Office of Student Life. Crispell has been a tireless advocate for increasing outdoor opportunities for the UB community.
- Student Leadership Award for Sustainable Action– Kelley Mosher, an undergraduate majoring in environmental design and environmental studies. Mosher has worked on numerous sustainability initiatives, including the UB Campus Garden.
- Sustainability Excellence by a Department or Cross-Functional Team– The Honors College, which has been exemplar in integrating sustainability at UB through service learning, co-curricular activities and day-to-day practices.
About the UB SLICE awards
Exemplary efforts by University Community members express UB’s continuing efforts to become a sustainable institution. The University at Buffalo wishes to recognize outstanding individuals and departments who exhibit a sincere commitment to transforming our campuses into a holistically sustainable community through the kinds of leadership, innovation, and collaboration that demonstrates environmental stewardship, enhances social progress, or promotes responsible economic systems and growth.
Each nomination was evaluated based on how well the nominee’s actions reflect these sustainability criteria:
- Going above and beyond routine or assigned responsibilities
- Overall impact
- Ability to serve as a catalyst or model
- Engages multiple campus stakeholders (students, faculty, staff, community, etc)
- Incorporates multiple aspects of sustainability
Nominees must be faculty or staff members, students, or a department or cross functional team at the University at Buffalo. Candidates can be nominated for different categories, either as individuals, departments or partnerships. The categories are:
- Award for Sustainability Excellence by a Department or Cross Functional Team
- Student Leadership Award for Sustainable Action
- Staff Award for Sustainable Operations Initiative
- Faculty Award for Sustainability in Higher Education
The awards program is selective. Not every nomination is selected for an award. The number of awards in each category is not restricted nor is each award category filled each year.
Award recipients will be recognized in an awards ceremony that will take place April 18, 2016, 12-1:30 p.m. in conjunction with Earth Week events.