Major/Minor Application

Students learning about flying drones.

Incoming Students: Apply to the University at Buffalo

Incoming freshman or undergraduate transfer applicants who are interested in pursuing geography must first apply and be accepted to the University at Buffalo. 

When applying, you should indicate your intended major on the application form. 

All relevant information, including admissions criteria; the online application; dates and deadlines; and standardized test score requirements, can be found by visiting UB Undergraduate Admissions.

Current Students: Request to Change to the Geography Major or Minor

Current UB students seeking admission to the Geography major will be added upon submitting the CAS Major/Minor Change Request form.

To be admitted to the minor in geography you must have an overall (UB) QPA of 2.0. To receive a minor in Geography you must have a QPA of 2.0 in all Geography courses and a QPA of 2.0 overall (UB).

Submit the CAS Major/Minor Change Request form to request one of the following changes to your academic plan:

  • Add a major, minor, or certificate in the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Drop any major
  • Drop any minor

For further information contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Prof. Jared Aldstadt, (117 Wilkeson)

  • You are strongly urged to apply no later than the end of your sophomore year to have sufficient time to compete the required courses.
  • Students will be notified of the department's decision. If granted admission into the department, they should make an appointment with the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Prof. Jared Aldstadt (117 Wilkeson Quad), to discuss academic plans and to select a faculty advisor in the area of specialization that interests them.