Incoming freshmen and undergraduate transfer students must first be accepted to the University at Buffalo before applying to the major. Please visit UB's Undergraduate Admissions for further information on the application process.
How To Apply
Acceptance into the major has three requirements. Applicants must be a current UB undergraduate student who has:
Students majoring in Anthropology choose to concentrate in one of the subdisciplines - Archaeology, Cultural Anthropology, and Physical Anthropology. A Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental concentration is offered for those students intending to apply for graduate studies in health professions.
The Department of Anthropology offers a MA in Anthropology and a PhD in Anthropology. A Medical Anthropology concentration is available to students in the master's program.
How To Apply
1. Students interested in applying for Fall 2020 or beyond should use the button below. You will be redirected to create an account and start an application. Returning users can use this link to log in to their existing application(s).
2.) A $75 non-refundable application fee paid through UB e-Pay with a credit card using the links below:
3. Electronic transcripts uploaded with your application. Students must supply transcripts from all colleges and universities that you have attended. Official transcripts will be required if you are admitted and choose to matriculate to a graduate program at the University at Buffalo.
4. Results of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE):
Have the testing service send official scores directly to the university using the codes above. The department has no set GRE score minimum, but expects students to present strong scores for admission to both the MA and PhD programs in Anthropology.
Applicants should note that the undergraduate grade point average and GRE scores required for admission to the Anthropology MA and PhD programs may be higher than those set by the Graduate School at UB.
5. Three (3) confidential letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic work. Your reviewers will receive an email invitation to our online recommendation portal where letters can be uploaded. Please ensure to fill in all contact information fields for your reviewers.
6. One (1) writing sample.
7. One (1) current curriculum vitae.