Tableau is easy-to-use business intelligence software used for data analysis, providing visual tools to help you see and understand your data. Tableau natively connects to dozens of data sources including Oracle (InfoSource) and Microsoft SQL as well as local data sources like Access databases and Excel spreadsheets. Once connected to your data you use drag and drop tools to visualize and create interactive dashboards. You can then either deliver static reports to your audience via JPG, PDF or have them interact with your vizualizations using Tableau Reader, Tableau Server, Tableau Public or Tableau Online.
Institutional Analytics (powered by UB's Oracle BI, Tableau and Data Cookbook Services)
Connect to the Data Cookbook
Connect to the Strategic Information Reporting Initiative (SIRI)
Connect to the Tableau Service
Our Tableau Server allows us to share dashboards and data visualizations with leadership across the institution. Access to our Tableau Server is restricted. Be prepared to login with your UBAD username (‘ad\’+ UBITusername) and password.
Institutional Analytics Partnership (powered by SharePoint, UBfs and MS-SQL)
Responding to the increased use of Tableau on campus the Office of Institutional Analysis sponsors a local Tableau User Group (UB TUG) as a way to share best practices in Visual Analytics using this data visualization tool. For more information contact the UB TUG Facilitator .
Business Intelligence , Tableau and Visual Analytics Resources
Applications and Services
- Google Scholar
- Harzing Publish or Perish - A software program that retrieves and analyzes academic citations. It uses Google Scholar and Microsoft Academic Search to obtain the raw citations.
- Scopus - the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature, including scientific journals, books and conference proceedings with access to over 54 million records from 22,000 titles and 5,000 publishers, while delivering a comprehensive overview of the world's research output in the fields of science, technology, medicine, social sciences, and select arts and humanities. Source: Elsevier - UB Libraries
- Web of Science - Searching the entire Web of Science collection of databases together for keyword, title, and author searching will assure a more comprehensive search than searching Web of Science Core Collection alone. The Web of Science platform covers additional materials like patents, data sets, and significantly more life sciences references. Source: Thomson Reuters - UB Libraries.
Training and Continuing Education
- AAUDE - Association of American Universities Data Exchange - The Association of American Universities Data Exchange (AAUDE) is a public service organization whose purpose is to improve the quality and usability of information about higher education. Our membership is comprised of AAU institutions that support this purpose and participate in the exchange of data/information to support decision-making at their institution. AAUDE maintains collections of Data Resources , BI tools and Common links to member sites.
- AIR - Association for Institutional Research - The Association for Institutional Research (AIR) is the world's largest professional organization for institutional researchers. AIR provides educational resources, best practices, and professional-development opportunities for its more than 4,000 members.
- HEDW - Higher Education Data Warehousing Forum - A network of higher education colleagues dedicated to promoting the sharing of knowledge and best practices regarding knowledge management in colleges and universities, including building data warehouses, developing institutional reporting strategies, and providing decision support.
- North East Association for Institutional Research (NEAIR) - NEAIR is an individual membership driven organization that promotes institutional effectiveness in postsecondary education through excellence in the field of institutional research. As such, NEAIR focuses on facilitating the professional development of its members while promoting best practice and ensuring integrity in institutional research.
Legacy Support Services