Prepare for the move to UBmail (Exchange Online) and reconnect apps
Applies to: IT support staff, and UB faculty and staff in departments being migrated to UBmail (Exchange Online)
Find tips for a smooth change to Exchange Online.
Minimum requirements for Modern Authentication
Microsoft 365 uses Modern Authentication (ADAL/OAuth), which is not supported in all email applications. The following applications are known to support this change:
- Outlook 2016/2019/M365 for Windows (with registry key change; contact your departmental IT support for help)
- Outlook 2016/2019/M365 for Mac
- Outlook for iOS
- Outlook for Android
- Mail for Mac OS 10.14 (Mojave) or later*
- Mail for iOS 11.3.1 or later*
- Gmail for Android 6.4 or later*
- Thunderbird 77 or later (available only to faculty, on request to their IT Staff)*
* With the non-Outlook clients, it may be necessary to delete and recreate your Exchange connection profile to successfully connect via Modern Authentication.
If you currently use a client not in the above list to access email:
- Outlook versions older than 2013 will need to be upgraded. We strongly recommend using Outlook M365 wherever possible.
- ActiveSync clients will need to be updated to a supporting version if available or transition to one of the above listed clients.
- IMAP clients (available only to faculty) will need to be updated to a version that support OAuth authentication. Faculty will also need to request IMAP client access for their mailbox.
- Thunderbird 77 or later in particular does support OAuth authentication
Desktop client changes: Windows
Turn On Cached Exchange Mode
Outlook should be running in in Cached Exchange Mode. Please see instructions on Microsoft's website.
Registry key change
(FOR IT STAFF) Just prior to the scheduled Mailbox migration make the following change for the reg key. The reg key can be set the day before the migration.
1. Check for the following registry key:
- If it is set to zero, set the value to 1 and restart Outlook
- If the registry key does not exist, create it, set the value to 1 and restart Outlook
2. In Registry Editor, locate and click the following registry subkey:
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type AlwaysUseMSOAuthForAutoDiscover, and then press Enter.
- Right-click AlwaysUseMSOAuthForAutoDiscover, and then click Modify.
- In the Value databox, type 1, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor
Morning after the migration:
- Exit the Outlook mail clients
- Log out of Jabber and MS Teams
- Restart Outlook client
- Restart Jabber and MS Teams
Additional post-migration troubleshooting
The reg key change and reauthenticating per above should reconnect the desktop clients. If not you may need to perform the following steps:
- Make sure you are signed out of MS Teams, Jabber, and Webex Meetings/Teams
- Delete the ad\ followed by your UBITName from the login field, and replace it with your complete @buffalo.edu email address
- Reboot your desktop/laptop
Desktop client changes: Mac
Mac OS using Mac Mail
- Delete the old mail Exchange account
- Add a new Exchange account
- Click Sign in
- Duo verify
- Accept the permissions mail needs to use Exchange
Mac OS using Outlook
- Delete the old Exchange account: go to Outlook > Preferences > Accounts, select your account, and press the Delete key.
- Add a new Exchange account.
- Enter your @buffalo.edu email address and click Continue
- Choose Office 365 as a provider
- Click Sign in and then Duo verify
- Accept the permissions mail needs to use Exchange
Mobile devices changes
iPhone / iPad
Built-in Mail app
Step 1: Remove the mailbox:
- Open iPhone Settings and navigate to and tap on Mail.
- In the mail menu, navigate to and tap on Accounts.
- Tap on UB Mail account. (In this example, it is Exchange) and tap on Delete Account.
- You will be returned to the Accounts list after this completes.
Step 2: Add Microsoft 365 Mailbox
- At the accounts list, tap Add Account.
- Choose Microsoft Exchange.
- Enter your email address, and configure the Description however you would like (default is Exchange).
- Tap next, and you will get a prompt to Configure Manually, or to Sign In. Choose Sign In*
- You will be redirected to a Microsoft site where you will enter your email.
- A UB-branded site will open, enter your UBIT password.
- Authenticate with Duo.
- Once the authentication is completed, it should bring you to the data you want to sync. Be sure to UNCHECK the Contacts option, as this might overwrite your iPhone contacts.
- Tap next, and adding the mailbox should be complete.
* If you receive the error, "Exchange Account - Unable to verify account information" after clicking Sign in, try the following steps:
- Open a web browser
- Go to login.microsoftonline.com
- Sign out
- Return to the mail set up
- Tap your UBmail account icon in the top left corner to bring up the side menu.
- Tap the gear icon in the bottom left corner.
- Under Mail Accounts, tap your existing UBmail account.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Delete Account.
- When prompted to enter your work or personal email, enter your UBmail address.
- Log in with your UBITName password and Duo two-step verification.
When prompted to re-enter password, make the following change to the Email account setup:
- Change account name from ad\ubitname to firstname.lastname@example.org
The other option is to remove the email account and re-create the account in Email Setup:
- Email: email@example.com
- Domain/Username: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Server: outlook.office365.com
If there is no previous mailbox configured in the Outlook app:
- Open the Outlook app
- Tap Add Account.
- Tap Add Account> in the lower right corner
- Enter your @buffalo.edu email address and tap Continue>
- On the UB-branded page, enter your UBIT password and tap Sign in
- Complete Duo authentication
- Tap maybe later
- Tap Skip
- Your email will load
A mailbox is already configured in the Outlook app:
- Open Outlook app
- Tap mailbox icon in upper left to access menu
- Tap settings gear in mailbox menu
- In settings, tap add mail account, and choose add an email account from the popup at the bottom.
- Enter your UB email address and tap continue
- At the UB-branded page, enter your UBIT password and tap sign in
- Complete Duo authentication.
- your email will load.
- Tap mailbox icon upper left
- Tap settings gear at bottom of menu
- Tap on mail account in mail list
- Swipe to bottom and choose delete account.
- Open Gmail app
- Tap menu in the upper left
- Scroll to settings and tap the settings gear
- At bottom of email list tap add account.
- IN setup email tap exchange and Office365
- Enter email when prompted and tap next
- Enter password on UB-branded page and tap sign in
- Submit reason for approval request.
Accessing mail through web browser
Note: Clear your cache before you begin accessing for the first time.
There are two different ways to access:
Authenticate using your UBITName and password, it then takes 2-3 minutes for email to appear in the folders.
IMAP is available to faculty using Exchange Online. Please see your departmental IT support staff to submit a request.