Using My Virtual Computing Lab from a Linux operating system
requires a special remote desktop app that you download from
Sourceforge. You can access the software in My Virtual Computing
Lab using this app, as well as save work to your UBfs Myfiles (S:
drive) or your local hard drive (C: drive) and print to any
My Virtual Computing Lab is available for use by current UB
students, as well as faculty and staff paid by UB. It is not
available for use by retirees, alumni or employees paid by sources
other than UB.
To run Remote Desktop, you need:
- rdesktop (runs on most UNIX-based platforms with the X Window
- On-campus: A secure connection using wired ResNet, an
OpenPort or UB Secure Wi-Fi
- Off-campus: Connect using AnyConnect
You may choose to make some of the resources on your local
computer available to you during your remote session, including
your printer, USB drives, mapped drives, your clipboard and more.
You may also customize display and performance options. Remote
session options must be set before you connect to the remote
Connect to My Virtual Computing Lab.
- Select Accessories > Applications >
- At the command prompt, type rdesktop ubvcl.buffalo.edu
and press Enter (optional switches are discussed
- Select Other User.
- In the next window, enter the following information:
- User name: ad\UBITName
- Password: your password
- Click the blue arrow or press Enter.
You are now connected.