Operating System: Windows, Mac and Unix
Last Updated: March 13, 2020
In most cases, you will have 30 days to move your messages and export your Google documents before your old account is closed. Sometimes your new department's IT staff will make these changes for you. Check with them before following the steps below.
Other email clients that use oauth (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.)
- If you don't already have one, download a UB-supported email client, such as Outlook
- Open your UB-supported email client
- Create a temporary account to be used only as you move messages out of your secondary mailbox:
- Choose oauth as authentication type
- Name the account "Old UB Gmail"
- Enter your @buffalo.edu email address for the Username
- Incoming server: imap.gmail.com, port 993
- Incoming client setting: SSL (No exceptions)
- Outgoing server: smtp.buffalo.edu, port 25
- Outgoing client setting: TLS and port 25 or SSL and port 465
- Create a second, permanent account in your email client for your primary mailbox:
- Name the account "UBmail"
- Configure the account using one of the methods below. Most departments use Exchange, but check with your colleagues or IT staff:
- Using your Old UB Gmail account, move your folders (labels) from your "Old UB Gmail" to your "UBmail" account
- Delete the "Old UB Gmail" once all mail and folders have been moved
Follow Google's instructions to Download a file from Google Drive.
Follow instructions for your email client to update the following as desired:
- Spam filters
- Forwarding rules
- Vacation (Out of office) messages
- Signature files