UB is recognized as a national leader in the development of caring healthcare professionals who transform healthcare delivery through high quality interprofessional collaborative practice.
To prepare highly competent healthcare professionals who improve health outcomes by excelling in interprofessional communication, teamwork, and the provision of safe, ethical patient- and population-centered care.
We will achieve our mission by incorporating interprofessional education into the existing curricula. High-impact interprofessional educational experiences will prepare our health professions students to enter the workforce as effective interprofessional collaborative practitioners. Our initiatives include the development and implementation of:
- An experiential interprofessional education curriculum including simulation, community-based service, and clinical practice to promote achievement of the Interprofessional Education Collaborative (IPEC, 2016) core competencies. Students and faculty will:
- work together in an atmosphere of mutual respect and shared values. (Values/Ethics for Interprofessional Practice)
- understand the scope of practice of other health professionals and providers. (Roles/Responsibilities)
- develop effective communication skills to ensure high quality patient care. (Interprofessional Communication)
- perform effectively in different team roles to plan, deliver, and evaluate safe, effective patient-centered care. (Teams and Teamwork)
- Faculty development initiatives that promote interprofessional collaboration and scholarship.
- Leadership and research in innovative IPE educational strategies and experiences.