J-1 Student

Find out what you need to do to maintain your J-1 Student status and how to obtain J-1 Student benefits.

Learn more about J-1 student status and how to maintain it.
All J-1 Exchange Visitors and their J-2 dependents are required by the U.S. Department of State to have health insurance for the entire period of their stay in the U.S. 
The intent of the Exchange Visitor Program is for the home country to benefit from the J-1 Exchange Visitor’s experiences in the U.S. Accordingly, J-1 Exchange Visitors and their accompanying J-2 dependents may be subject to a two-year home residency requirement.
The SEVIS fee is a one-time fee to cover the costs of the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). 
If you cannot complete your program of study by the end date on your DS-2019, you must apply for an extension of stay before your current DS-2019 expires.
Academic Training is a type of off-campus work authorization that allows a J-1 student to gain practical experience in their field of study.
J-2 dependents are eligible to work in the U.S. as long as they meet certain conditions first.
Get the forms you need to have your SEVIS record transferred into or out of UB.
Important Reminder

If you apply for a waiver of the Two-Year Home Country Physical Presence Requirement (INA 212e), and your waiver is recommended in writing by the U.S. Department of State (“No Objection Statement”) or you receive Form I-612 from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, you are no longer eligible for any J-1 benefits (DS-2019 Extension, Academic Training, SEVIS Transfer, etc.). Therefore, please consult with ISS, Talbert Hall 210, North Campus before applying for the waiver.