J-1 Student Intern

Find out what requirements you must meet as a J-1 Student Intern.

Students who are currently enrolled in and pursuing a degree at a postsecondary academic institution outside the U.S. and whose U.S. internship will fulfill the educational objectives for their current degree program may participate in the J-1 Student Intern program as long as they meet certain requirements.
All J-1 Exchange Visitors and their J-2 dependents are required by the U.S. Department of State to have health insurance for the entire period of their stay in the U.S.
The intent of the Exchange Visitor Program is for the home country to benefit from the J-1 Exchange Visitor’s experiences in the U.S. Accordingly, J-1 Exchange Visitors and their accompanying J-2 dependents may be subject to a two-year home residency requirement.
The SEVIS fee is a one-time fee to cover the costs of the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). 
To invite a J-1 Student Intern, please review the following information. 
Get the information and forms you need for J-1 Student Interns and Intern Supervisors.
Every Student Intern must watch this important video when they arrive at UB.
If you will not complete your internship by the expected date, you must apply for an extension. This must be done before your current DS-2019 expires.
J-2 dependents are eligible to work in the U.S. as long as they meet certain conditions first.