Internships allow our students to use the skills acquired during their classes in executing project goals
Approved students who are in good standing in their degree program may earn academic credit for internships. To receive academic credit for an internship, follow the procedure described below.
It is up to each indivdual student to secure their own internship. UB has resources to help you with the search!
ICDS has a list of past companies students have interned with that enrolled students have access to. Students are also encouraged to write to companies that interest you and ask if they have positions available - include your resume and let them know what problems you can help solve for them through your specific skillsset!
You can also connect with past students who have completed internships to get advice on the job search process, or potentially help get contacts at companies you can connect with directly. Current students and alumni are encouraged to join our private LinkedIn Group
for networking and ICDS updates!
Students in the Engineering Science MS (Data Science) and MPS Data Science and Applications programs are required to complete a project, either in industry or on campus, to satisfy their Master's Project course requirement.
Students cannot enroll in the Master's Project course until they've completed two semesters of full-time study in the respective degree program.
To enroll in the internship course:
- Secure an internship! You are responsible for locating and applying for your internship opportunity. This means that you will need to contact potential internship locations; submit your resume, cover letter and any other documentation that is required; arrange the interviews; etc
- Submit to the graduate coordintor a completed internship application, which includes a copy of the internship offer letter to the graduate coordinator. The offer letter must:
- Be on company letterhead and dated
- Include the position title
- List the internship start and end dates
- Specify if it is full time or part time
- Include internship description (if not included, attach this as a separate file)
- The program director will approve or deny the opportunity for the masters project requirement.
- If approved, the graduate coordinator will force-enroll you into the course for 3 credits.
- Engineering Science students will take EAS 560 Data Science Project
- MPS students will take CDA 571 Project Guidance
- International students will be required to apply for CPT before the application deadlines.
- Complete the internship + submit assignments to the program director!
Students in the CDSE PHD can complete an internship as elective credit towards their degree requirements by enrolling in CDA 601 Individual Problems with their major advisor. Students must have satisifed all of their core course requirements and passed their qualifying exam before they can complete an internship. The industry experience should supplement their research.
To enroll in the course:
- Submit internship offer letter and description of internship responsibilities.
- Get approval from your primary advisor.
- Forward approval to your graduate coordinator with number of credits you wish to enroll in to get force enrolled into CDA 601.
- International students must also apply for CPT and work with their major advisor to complete the Academic Advisor Recommendation form to be uploaded in the CPT application.
- Send written updates to advisor to earn academic credit.