University at Buffalo - The State University of New York
Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Environment, Health and Safety Questions

Who do I call if I have a safety or health concern?
On the UB campus, immediately call Environment, Health and Safety at 829-3301 or dial 645-2222 to contact University Police.

Where do I get information about campus emergency procedures and announcements?
Visit the University at Buffalo Emergency Preparedness Website.

Who should I call for indoor air quality (IAQ) issues?
Natural gas odors, sewer gas odors, and visible mold issues should be called into Customer Service at 645-2025.  All other IAQ concerns should be called into the EH&S Service Request line at 829-3301.

How do I report an injury?
After getting medical attention as needed, call Annette Lozo, Workers Comp. Administrator, at 645-4379 if you are an employee.  Also see the Workers’ Compensation Accident/Injury Report Form 

How can I get help with my computer setup?
If you would like an assessment of your work station, contact us at 829-3301.  For further information visit our Ergonomics page.

How do I dispose of hazardous waste?
Hazardous wastes are regulated under stringent USEPA and NYSDEC regulations. UB EHS collects hazardous wastes from all campus locations including the Downtown campus. Once your waste containers area properly identified, labeled, and ready for disposal, complete a hazardous waste pick up request form and either fax or e-mail it to UB EHS. We will then make arrangements for collection.  For further information on the management, storage and disposal of hazardous waste, visit our Hazardous Waste page.
What should I do with a broken mercury thermometer?
If you break a mercury thermometer and have a mercury spill kit in your area, use the spill media contained in the kit to absorb the mercury and then collect it in a suitable container. Place a hazardous waste label on the container and arrange for UB EHS to collect it. If the mercury has rolled into an area that is not easily accessible or you prefer not to clean up the mercury yourself, contact the UB EHS service request line at 829-3301. EHS will respond and collect the mercury using a specialized HEPA vacuum that will scoop up the residual mercury and broken glass. Do not use a conventional vacuum for this. Labs should consider replacing all mercury thermometers with less toxic and just as accurate alcohol type.
How do I obtain hazardous waste and RCRA empty container labels?
Hazardous waste and RCRA empty container labels can be obtained through the UB EHS office at no charge. Contact the UB EHS service request line at 829-3301.
Where can I get a laboratory sign for my door?
EH&S can provide door signage for laboratories and areas that use hazardous material. Information on the sign can inform staff and emergency responders to the types of hazards that are in the lab and if any precautions are required.  To request a sign, visit the Laboratory Door Sign page.
How do I recycle batteries at UB?
UB recycles both alkaline and rechargeable batteries here on campus. For regulatory reasons,  both types must be in separate containers. Visit the Battery Recycling page for specific locations where you can drop off your batteries for recycling.

When are documented radioactive materials laboratory contamination surveys due?
Monthly survey reports are due by the first of each month documenting the status of radioactive materials use for the previous month.  The report must document “active” or “inactive” status of all authorized radioactive materials laboratories assigned to the Principal Investigator.  Survey reports documenting “active” laboratory status must include radioactive contamination survey results (survey meter and wipes) for each lab where radioactive materials was used.
See the pages 6-8 of the Radioactive Materials Safety Manual (pdf) and the Radioactive Materials Laboratory Survey Report (pdf) or call EH&S Radiation Safety at  829-3281 for more information.

Customer Service & Maintenance Questions

How do I request a service?
Call Customer Service at 645-2025, submit the on-line Work Order Request Form, or fax information to Customer Service at 645-5965.

How do I report an after-hours emergency?
Call University Police at 645-2222 for all emergency situations. 
After-hours Heating & Ventillation

How can I check the status of my work request?
Call University Facilities Customer Service at 645-2025 or e-mail at Please have your work order or quote number on-hand.

How can I be notified of utility shutdowns?
University Facilities sends utility shutdown notifications by e-mail.  You can subscribe or unsubscribe on the Notification E-mail Subscription Form.

Is there a charge for Facilities to give a quote?
University Facilities Operations does not charge the customer for the time involved in developing a quote for billable work.  Quote Request Form

Why do I need to provide an account number when requesting a quote?
The account number is required as it significantly reduces the amount of time approved work takes to be scheduled and started. The account will not be charged until the quote is approved and the work has been completed.

What is the difference between billable and non-billable services?
Services provided by Facilities fall into two categories, billable and non-billable. Non-billable work is generally routine maintenance work on the University infrastructure. Billable work is above and beyond general maintenance.

What do I do if I have lost keys or found keys lost by another?
Please see the Lock and Key Page for detailed information.  If you have found keys, please drop them off at University Police Lost and Found.  If you have lost keys, please contact your department head or University Facilities Customer Service at 645-2025.

Do I call University Facilities if I am having problems with my phone?
University Facilities does not repair campus phone systems. Please call the Telecommunications Department at 645-3514.

How do I request signage for an event?
Review the Event Services page for more information about campus events.

How do I request an interior sign? (door signs, desk plates, name tags, directional signs)
Review the Signage and Recognition Marker page for more information about signage.

Facilities Planning & Design Questions

Where can I find out more about each building on all of UB's campuses?
Visit the Facilities Planning and Design Building Profiles page.

How do I start a request to renovate my space? (pdf)
Submit the Facilities Planning and Design Space Renovation Request Form.

When do I need a Building Permit?
A Building Permit is required when a proposed project will alter any of the major systems such as electrical, plumbing, HVAC, or structural. A NY State licensed design professional must prepare design drawings and place his/her professional stamp on them. These drawings must be submitted to FP&D for review and issuance of the Building Permit.

If I have all of the work done by an off-campus vendor, do I still need a Building Permit?
Yes, all construction work done on campus requires a Building Permit if it meets the criteria described above. An FP&D representative will help you obtain one.  In addition, contractors are required to submit proof of insurance.

If I am adding an outlet for my new copy machine, do I need a Building Permit?
Usually, no. Exceptions occur when all available circuits are full and a new sub-panel must be added to the building system to accommodate the request.

If I am just painting and carpeting my office suite, do I need a Building Permit?
No, as permit is not required for these kinds of projects.  However, carpeting has often been installed over asbestos containing flooring materials or with asbestos containing mastic.  Therefore, before new carpeting can be ordered, testing must be completed by Environment, Health and Safety. 

Document Library Questions

What are the Document Library hours of operation?
Staff is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 am till 4:30 pm to assist customers.

What types of documents are maintained in the Document Library?
The Document Library houses all campus building blueprints, project drawings, specifications, submittals, and operations manuals.

How can I request a copy of a drawing?
Submit the Building Drawing Request Form

What format are drawings available in?
Drawings can be given in electronic or hard copy format.

Facilities Sustainability and Energy Management Questions

Who tracks utility costs and consumption for UB’s off-site locations?
Facilities Sustainability and Energy Management tracks and reports on the costs and consumption of utilities on North, South, Downtown and Off-campus locations.

How much are the University at Buffalo’s utility costs?
Utilities Management maintains the fiscal year's cost and consumption and displays the information here on the University Facilities web site. See Utilities Management Fiscal Year Cost and Consumption Totals

What can I do to positively influence the University’s energy consumption?
Visit UB's Sustainability website

What are UB’s current energy conservation projects?
Visit the Energy Conservation Projects page.

Where can I obtain more detailed utility consumption information for UB buildings?
Contact Facilities Sustainability and Energy Management staff