Office: 320 Clemens Hall
Phone number: (716) 645-2577
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Victorian literature and culture; history of the novel; gender
and sexuality; history of the emotions, sensation, and
- Victorian Pain, Princeton Unversity Press, Forthcoming May 1,
- The Marriage of Minds: Reading Sympathy in the Victorian
Marriage Plot. Stanford University Press, 2007.
- Co-editor with James Bono, Pain: Politics, Ethics,
- Editor and Introduction. The Feeling of Reading: Affective
Experience and Victorian Literature. University of Michigan
- Editor and Introduction. "Victorian Feeling." Special issue of
Victorian Studies 50.3 (Spring 2008).
Articles and Book Chapters
- “Tortured Sympathies: Victorian Literature and the
Ticking Time-Bomb Scenario.” ELH 80.4 (Winter 2013):
- “Harriet Martineau and the Subject of Pain.”
Victorian Studies. Summer 2014 (56.4).
- “Victorian Passions.” The Cambridge Companion to
the Victorian Novel. Cambridge University Press, December
- “The Married Women’s Property Act of 1870.”
BRANCH: Britain, Representation, and Nineteenth-Century
History. Ed. Dino Felluga. September 2012.
- “Addressing the Reader: The Autobiographical
Voice.” The Oxford History of the Novel in English, Volume
3, 1820-1880. Oxford University Press, January 2012.
- “Reading and Re-reading: Wilde, Newman, and Fictional
Belief.” The Feeling of Reading: Affective Experience and
Victorian Literature. (Rpt. in Joseph Bristow, ed., Wilde
Discoveries: Traditions, Histories, Discoveries. Toronto:
University of Toronto Press, 2013)
- “Oscar Wilde’s Fictions of Belief.” Novel:
A Forum on Fiction 42.2 (Summer, 2009): 175-82.