Lost Key/Swipe Card Problems

student swiping u b card to get access to a building.

If you lose your key or your swipe card isn't working, please report it as soon as possible, so we can fix the problem (and, for lost keys, change your locks if needed). 

Locked Out?

Any resident advisor or apartment staff member can let you in. Apartment residents can also contact the community assistant at the number posted in your community building. You must have proper identification and be the legal resident in order to be let in.

Room Key (Lost or Stolen)

If the key to your residence hall room or apartment is lost or stolen: 

  • Contact your area office to check lost and found to see if someone has turned in a key
  • Contact University Police to see if a key was turned in
  • If you cannot find the key, you must request a lock change

Request a Lock Change

To request a lock change:

  • Go to your area office with your UB ID and complete a lock change form
  • Lock changes are completed Monday — Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. by our locksmith. The process can take 24 hours. 
  • The charge for a lock change depends on the size of your room, and will be billed to your student account. You can view a list of these charges in the Guide to Campus Living. 

Please note that your key cannot be duplicated. When you move out, your key must be returned. You will be charged a replacement fee if you do not return your Campus Living-issued key or attempt to return a duplicated key.

Swipe Card (Lost, Stolen or Not Working)

You should report your lost swipe card (UB Card) to Campus Dining & Shops, which manages swipe cards. It typically takes 1 business day to replace your UB card. If you need immediate access, please go to your area office.

Mailbox Key or Combination (Lost or Stolen)

If you lost your mailbox key or combination, please go to your area office or village office for assistance.