Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

We encourage you to learn more about official UB on-campus housing. Of course, you can always contact us if you have any specific questions or concerns.

On This Page:

General FAQs

  • How do I obtain on-campus housing for next year?

    All students interested in living on-campus next year must apply for housing. Completing the housing application process by the applicable deadline guarantees students a space in on-campus housing.

  • What housing options are available to me?

    All students are eligible for on-campus housing in the residence halls. Typically, traditional second-year students (sophomores) are eligible for housing in Greiner Hall and Creekside East apartments. Students who graduated from high school two or more years ago will be eligible for housing in on-campus apartments (Hadley, Flint, and South Lake).  Student who graduated from high school 2 or more years ago will eligible for housing in graduate/non-traditional apartments (Creekside, Flickinger, and Flint) and our traditional apartments (Flint, Hadley, South Lake).  Student housing preferences will be considered in the assignment process; however, assignments are based on space availability and eligibility requirements. Apartment space for incoming students is limited and apartment eligible students may be assigned residence hall housing during the new student room assignment process.

  • What are the benefits of living on campus?

    Students living on campus experience more of what the university has to offer; it is a bigger part of their lives. Also, residents meet more people with different backgrounds, participate in more campus activities and events, and are more satisfied with their collegiate experience. Living on campus is convenient and compliments your education...everything you need is nearby. Studies also show a relationship between living on campus and academic success in the classroom.

  • How do I accommodate different lifestyles and study, sleep and activity schedules?

    We are an academic community. All students in the residence halls and apartments are expected to maintain specified quiet hours. At all other times, students are asked to conduct themselves in a considerate manner that will not disturb their neighbors. Also, there are study lounges/areas throughout the residence halls. See your hall or apartment staff for specific hours in your area. In accordance with the New York State Clean Indoor Air Act, all areas in the residence halls and apartments are non-smoking.

  • How is apartment living different than residence hall living?

    On-campus apartment housing provides students the best of both worlds. You have greater independence and expanded amenities such as close parking, free laundry, having your own room, low student-to-bathroom ratio, full kitchens and air-conditioning while still having the support of UB staff throughout the year.

  • Is University Village at Sweet Home, Block 20, Axis 360 or the Villas on Rensch/Chestnut Ridge considered official UB housing?

    No. These off-campus apartment complexes are privately owned and operated, and are not affiliated with the University at Buffalo in any way. None of these properties is on campus grounds. 

  • How long does the apartment agreement last?

    Creekside Village East (1-11), Flint Village, Hadley Village and South Lake Village have academic-year (late August—mid May) agreements in all units except in South Lake two-bedroom, one-bedroom and studio units, where full-year (late August—end July) agreements are available.

    Flickinger Court and Creekside Village West (12-25) offer full-year (late August—end July) agreements.

  • When do housing agreements start?

    Housing agreements start shortly before classes begin. Please see your move-in guide for more information.

  • What if I live far away and cannot get home during vacation periods?

    On-campus housing during UB’s break periods (fall, winter and spring) and Winter Session is typically available for students who have an academic or unavoidable reason to stay on campus.  There is no additional charges for the break periods.

  • Do I need renter’s insurance?

    We recommend that residents have renters' insurance, since we are not responsible for damage to personal property.

  • Can I choose my roommate?

    Yes, you may indicate a roommate preference during the application process. Roommate requests must be mutual and will be accommodated based on the date the housing application is complete and space availability.

  • When will I receive my room and roommate information?

    Once your assignment is done, information, including room and roommate information, can be viewed online by logging into the Campus Living housing protal. Initial assignment information for new students is sent in early July and formal assignment letters for all students are sent in early August for fall semester housing.

  • If I meet someone at orientation whom I want to live with, can I change my roommate request?

    New student roommate requests may be updated until June 1. All roommate requests must be mutual. Requests will be considered; however, they may not always be possible, due to space availability and eligibility requirements. Students looking for roommate requests after assignments are done should complete an assignment change request form

  • What happens if I am accepted to UB after the housing application deadline? Can I still apply for housing?

     Yes, if you submit an application after the housing deadline, you will be placed on the housing waitlist. Waitlist students are not guaranteed housing and will be housed on a space available basis. 

  • Can I change my room online?

    No. You can only reserve a room once online. If you want to make a change after you’ve selected a room online, you need to complete an Assignment Change Request form.

  • Is it true that UB offers gender-inclusive housing, and how do I sign up?

    Yes, we offer gender-inclusive housing in our apartments. You can submit an application through the returner student selection process or the new student application process. Additionally, the Alliance program is available in our residence halls.

  • Can I get family/married housing?

    Yes. Flickinger Court offers housing for families and married couples.

  • Are UB's apartments co-ed?

    Flint Village, Hadley Village and South Lake Villages are co-educational, but only students of the same sex can live together in the same unit. However, there are a limited number of designated gender-inclusive spaces in Hadley Village. In Flickinger Court and Creekside Village West, units can be rented as same-sex units or as gender-inclusive units upon mutual student request. In addition, couples and families can apply to live in Flickinger Court; please contact us for additional details.

  • Can I sublet my apartment?

    Subletting is allowed at the discretion of your complex director for apartments that have full-year (late August—end July) housing agreements. Please see your complex director for details.

  • Can I get a verification of my past or present housing assignment?

    When your insurance policy, future employers, post-graduate housing providers, or other off-campus entities need to confirm your current or former on-campus address, Campus Living will provide an address verification for you.

    To request an address verification, log into the housing portal (with a hyper link to the portal) and click the link for Address Verification at the bottom of the page. Enter the email address that you wish the record to be sent to and submit.

    If you are unable to log into the housing portal, please contact In order to confirm your identity we may reach out to you via phone or email. Government contractors or other third parties should be prepared to present investigative credentials in person at 106 Red Jacket Quad, Ellicott Complex Buffalo, NY 14261 during business hours.

Living at UB

  • Who can I ask for help in the residence halls or apartments?

    Our live-in residential life and apartment staff is available to provide assistance and leadership. In our residence halls, there is both a residence hall director and an assistant residence hall director. In our apartments, complex directors and assistant complex directors serve similar roles. Directors are full-time staff members with master's degrees, while assistant directors are specially trained graduate students.

    Directors and/or assistant directors are on duty each night. In addition, there is typically one live-in resident advisor for approximately every 30 students. Resident advisors (upper-division undergraduate students who are carefully selected and trained) will usually be your first point of reference and assistance during your stay with us.

  • Where do I park for residence halls?

    Parking is available near your residence hall. You are not guaranteed a spot by your building. Unlike other universities, UB does allow first-year students to have cars on campus.

  • Do you have reserved parking for apartment residents?

    Parking at each village is reserved for residents of that village only. You are not guaranteed a spot by your unit.

  • What mail services are available?

    You can send and receive mail and packages when you live at UB.

  • Do the residence halls and apartments have phone service?

    Landlines have been removed from on-campus housing. There are courtesy phones located throughout the buildings for emergencies and on-campus calls. Most students use cellphones as their telephone service.

  • Who's going to do my laundry?

    You are...and for your convenience, washing machines and dryers are located in every residence hall and apartment building. Laundry machines are available free of charge, 24/7 to students living on-campus.

  • How can I recycle in the halls and apartments?

    Recycling is available in every residence hall and apartment complex.

  • How do I pay rent?

    Your rent is conveniently billed directly to your student account.

Housing Assignments for New Students

  • How is the assignment process completed?

    Assignments are completed based on the date the completed application was received. A completed application includes a signed agreement, a completed application including both a $150 tuition deposit and $300 housing deposit. Starting with the earliest completed application received, we begin to assign rooms based on the applicants' requested preferences. We will first attempt to match the first preference, then the second, then the third, etc. If there are no available rooms in your preference areas, we will assign you to the next best vacant space available. We have identified spaces for first-year students, transfer students, returning students, international students, etc. 

  • What preferences take priority when making an assignment?

    We look at numerous factors when assigning students to housing, including:

    • The date of your completed housing application, including your housing/tuition deposit(s)
    • Accommodation requests
    • Specialty housing preferences (including first-year interest)
    • Roommate preferences
    • Room size
    • Campus preference
  • Why did I get an assignment that was not one of my requested preferences?

    There are a number of factors that can affect your assignment. The date of your application, the room type request was unavailable, living learning community requests, and roommates are just a few. 

  • What should I do if I am not happy with my housing assignment?

    You can request to change your room or apartment at any time. Moves are dependent upon your housing eligibility and space availability.

  • I applied with a roommate but we are not assigned together, what happened?

    There are a number of factors that could affect a roommate assignment. Those reasons include, but are not limited to:

    • Both roommates did not apply before the deadline
    • The request was not mutual between roommates
    • One roommate requested a specialty housing area and the other did not
    • The number of roommates requested exceeded the number of open spaces (e.g., three people were requested, but there were no more triples)
  • Can I cancel my room reservation?

    All new students may cancel their housing agreement without penalty before June 1 (for fall semester applicants), May 1 for returning students (for fall semester applicants) and Dec. 1 (for spring semester applicants). To cancel, please submit the cancellation request form. In order to receive a refund of your $300 housing deposit, we must receive the request no later than May 1 (fall) or Dec. 1 (spring).

    Students enrolled at UB for the upcoming semester will not be permitted to cancel their housing request the appropriate deadline, regardless of the reason (including commuting from home or financial reasons). Only those who will no longer be UB students in the fall are allowed to cancel the appropriate deadlines, and the $300 deposit will be forfeit.

  • If a situation arises where I need to break my housing agreement, is that possible?

    Yes, in certain circumstances, including graduating, studying abroad or participating in an out-of-town internship. You must submit an early release request from your housing agreement, and have that request approved by Campus Living.

Housing Selection for Current UB Students

  • Do current students who lived on campus get priority for selecting a space on-campus?

    Yes! Each student will be assigned a random, computer-generated selection appointment time—with the earliest (best) numbers being assigned to those with the most semesters on campus. The longer you have lived on campus, the earlier your time will be.

  • Will I be able to apply to live in Greiner Hall or Creekside Village East?

    Greiner Hall and Creekside Village East (1-11) is designed for our second-year (sophomore) students, as determined by high school graduation (or equivalent) date.

  • Is it true that you can self-select spaces in Greiner Hall and the apartments?

    Yes! All current/returning students who wish to live on campus next year will self-select their housing; this includes residence halls, Greiner Hall and apartment spaces. Apartments are typically for upperclass and graduate students. Greiner Hall and Creekside East (1-11) apartments are for second-year students.

  • Is the process for assigning graduate and non-traditional students different from the rest?

    No, the process for non-traditional or graduate students is the same.

  • Where do I go to select my housing online?

    To start, on the day of the process you'll be provided a link to the Select Your Room option in our housing reservation system. You will log in using the username and password sent to you with your selection number. Please note, you will not be able to access this site until the day of the process.

  • What if I don’t have access to a computer at my scheduled time? Is there an in-person Housing Selection Process?

    If you cannot make the scheduled time for the online process, you may complete an online “proxy” form by the preference deadline. The Housing Services Office will select a room for you. 

  • When is housing selection?

    The online housing selection process for fall housing occurs in early March. All current students self-select their housing for next year. Detailed instructions are typically available the first week of February.

  • What is my selection appointment time? How was it determined?

    Your selection appointment time determines the time you may access the online housing selection process. It is calculated using only the number of fall and spring semesters you have lived on campus. The longer you have lived on campus, the earlier your time will be.

  • What if I can’t add my chosen roommate(s)?

    First, you must form a roommate group using the selection system. Your chosen roommate(s) must also have applied for housing, be eligible for the type of housing your are selecting and cannot already be assigned.  If there are any questions regarding eligibility during this process, please contact us.

  • How do I select housing with my friend(s)?

    Inside the housing software system, you first must form a roommate group.  The person with the earlier selection appointment time will log on to the housing system at their designated time and select a room that has the appropriate number of spaces to accommodate all roommates.  

  • What if the hall/room size I want isn’t listed during the selection process?

    If a specific room size or hall isn’t listed, it means that other students have already selected them and there are no more rooms available to be selected in that particular hall or room size.

  • What happens if the online website is unavailable?

    If the website is not operational, we have planned for an in-person selection for each phase of the process. In the event that we utilize the in-person process, we will inform all residence hall students with reservation numbers through a general email message via “” accounts with further directions. An announcement will also be posted on our website. There will be no in-person process if the online website functions properly.

  • What if I am not happy with any of the rooms that are available?

    Even if you do not like the room available, you should still select a room. You can then request to change your room after housing selection. As long as you are eligible, you can submit an assignment change request for any type of on-campus housing. If you are still not happy with your room by the housing deposit deadline, you may cancel your housing, online, without penalty. We will begin processing assignment change requests shortly after housing selection ends and continue throughout the following months.

  • How do I find out my apartment/suite-mate's information?

    You may access the housing website after the end of the housing selection process to view your room and roommate details. This link will stay live all summer so you may continue to monitor any changes to your housing.

  • Is it true that I must have a whole group in order to live in an apartment or Greiner Hall?

    Flickinger Court and Creekside Village West apartment eligible students may select individual spaces or a whole unit.

    Flint, Hadley, South Lake Apartments are must fill areas.  Students living in these areas must fill all vacancies in order to select the space during housing selection.  Due to current apartment residents renewing before the process, we expect there to be apartment options available for groups of 4, 3, 2, and single applicants.

    Sophomore areas (Greiner Hall and Creekside Village East are must fill areas and are required to fill the whole unit (groups of four).

  • What if I don’t know my login ID or password?

    Your login is your UBIT username and password.  For information about activating your UBIT account, visit the Activate Your UBITNAME page.

  • What are my chances for a one-bedroom or studio apartment?

    One-bedroom and studio spaces are very limited and are usually granted to the earliest of applicants with the greatest number of semesters on campus.

  • I'm applying with three friends. What are our chances for a four-bedroom apartment?

    It is very difficult to predict how many four-bedroom apartments will be available. Housing Services will do their best to meet your preferences. A rooms available list will be available shortly before and during the selection process, so you can check on space availability.