When it comes to food, the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences was designed with the neighborhood in mind. Instead of housing multiple eateries in the building, UB and HOK (the global design firm that created the 628,000-square-foot facility) had other ideas—namely, getting people out the door and into local establishments.
“We designed the new medical school building with an eye toward contributing to economic development in the neighborhood,” explains Laura Hubbard, UB’s vice president for finance and administration. “We want medical students, faculty and staff to be out in the community, patronizing local businesses.”
To that end, we created this handy guide to downtown dining establishments, all of which serve lunch and are within a 10-minute walk of the medical school building.
1. Cantina Loco Tacos, burritos, nachos—need we say more?
2. Towne Local Greek diner that’s been sating city dwellers’ souvlaki cravings for decades
3. Allen Burger Venture Dry-aged, grass-fed Angus beef burgers and much more
4. Gabriel’s Gate Pub food extraordinaire, including wings that many claim to be Buffalo’s best
5. Colter Bay Hearty eaters get their meatloaf and elk burgers here
6. Panaro’s Large selection of salads, sandwiches and Italian specialties
7. Fast N’ Tasty Ethiopian dishes served with traditional injera flatbread
8. Giacobbi’s Cucina Citta All your Italian faves, from pizza to piccata
9. Café 59 Nosh on signature sandwiches, salads and even vegetarian Buffalo wings made from polenta
10. Fat Bob’s Smokehouse If you’re craving BBQ, this is your joint
11. Hamlin House Enjoy grilled cheese, fried bologna and other sandwiches for under $6 in a Buffalo mansion
12. Founding Fathers Pub Ponder past presidents as you chow on Philly cheesesteak or the “famous” tuna salad
13. Kaydara Noodle Bar Multicultural noodles, including pho, somen, ramen and udon
14. Ulrich’s Tavern One of Buffalo’s oldest pubs, featuring classic German fare along with American standbys
15. Roly Poly Sandwiches Choose from dozens of wraps, like Santa Fe chicken or veggie fajita
16. Coco A local favorite, both for its food and ambiance
17. Lovejoy Pizza Take out a cheesy “Yum-Yum” pie to enjoy on campus
18. Twisted Pickle Sandwiches, wraps, chicken fingers and, of course, pickles
19. Anchor Bar Where Buffalo wings were born