The Jacobs Executive Development Center (JEDC) (formerly The Butler House) is property gifted to the university by Jeremy Jacobs. It's current function is in transition.
The building was designed by Mead, McKim, and White Architects at the turn of the century as a private residence for businessmen who prospered because of Buffalo's location at the western end of the Erie Canal as well as a port of call for the grain industry. The Buffalo Evening News' founder Edward H. Butler acquired the building in 1905 and occupied the building for 69 years.
In 2000, Jacobs donated the architectural landmark Butler Mansion to UB for use as a continuing education and training facility. Renamed the Jacobs Executive Development Center by the university, the building has been used for business education and has become an important regional presence for the university.
Jeremy Jacobs is chairman and CEO of Delaware North Companies, a worldwide leader in hospitality and one of the largest privately held companies in North America. He is also chairman of the UB Council, an alumnus of the UB School of Management and a long-time philanthropic leader.