December Holiday Closures

Happy Holidays.

Published December 5, 2018


Learn about your options if your dean or vice-president closes your unit during the holidays.

If You Want To Work During Your Unit's Closure

If you elect to work when your unit is closed and you cannot work at your regular location, you may work at Lockwood Library.

Make your arrangements by:

  1. Confirming that your dean or vice-president will close your unit for the holiday period
  2. Arranging for a work assignment or projects for yourself if possible
  3. Notifying Nicole Colello-Klubek by phone at 716-645-7983 or by email that you plan to work in Lockwood Library during the holiday period

Charging Time During Closure

Because unit closure days are not official state holidays (except for December 25 and January 1), if you are absent you must charge time not worked to accrued vacation, personal leave or holiday time. 

Sick leave accruals may not be used for unit closure days.

Check with your supervisor before taking days off during the holiday period.

Don't Have Enough Vacation Time?

State Employees:

If you do not have sufficient accruals you:

  • Can request an advance of up to four vacation days (advanced vacation days can only be requested for the week of the Christmas holiday, 12/24-12/28) or
  • Choose to take the days off without pay  

If you plan to make use of either option, send a letter to your supervisor. Your supervisor will prepare a letter including:

  • Employee's name
  • Person number
  • Department
  • Supervisor
  • Dates of unpaid time or number of vacation days to be advanced (max is 4)

Send the letter no later than 12/14/18 close of business, via email to, via fax to 716-645-3830 or via campus mail to:

            State Benefits
            Human Resources
            120 Crofts Hall
            North Campus

RF Employees:

  If you do not have sufficient accruals you can:

  • Choose to take the days off without pay  

If you plan to make use of the without pay option, notify your supervisor so your department can submit the appropriate transaction to Human Resources no later than 12/14/18. 

Contact an Expert

Amy Myszka.

Amy Myszka


Benefits and Work Life Balance

Phone: 716-645-5357


Zachary Jenney.

Zachary Jenney

RF Benefit Services

Phone: 716-645-4439


Richard Kustich.

Richard Kustich

Senior Director of Operations

UB Foundation

Phone: 716-645-8739