On January 24, 2017, the State University of New York (SUNY)
Board of Trustees voted to terminate MetLife as an approved carrier
for both the SUNY Optional Retirement Program (ORP) and
SUNY’s 403(b) Program. MetLife will no longer be an
approved SUNY retirement vendor beginning May 1, 2017.
Please contact MetLife directly at 1-844-298-8899 or
1-800-543-2520 to find out. The University at Buffalo cannot verify
this information for you.
If you are enrolled in the ORP and/or SUNY 403(b) program(s)
and have contracts with MetLife, you will need to take
- New and active SUNY ORP and 403(b) contributions may continue
to be invested with MetLife prior to May 1, 2017.
- Effective May 1, 2017, new SUNY ORP and 403(b) contributions
may not be invested with MetLife.
- You may keep contributions that were already invested with
MetLife prior to May 1, 2017.
- No new contributions will be made to your account(s).
- Participants should review and consider current individual
investments, fees, and ramifications of transferring funds to
another provider, prior to making any changes.
- Participants should also discuss options with their MetLife
advisor(s), as MetLife offers two types of contracts with
- Participants should understand which contract(s) they have with
MetLife, and the associated fees and expenses, as well as any fees
applicable for transferring from one contract type to another, or
to another provider.
Some of the fund options available through MetLife may be
currently available and/or may become available with other
providers (Fidelity, TIAA, Valic and Voya). Participants should
examine the benefits versus drawbacks to maintaining funds in
MetLife investments versus transferring funds to another