Director: Sarunas Milisauskas, professor of anthropology
Location: Millard Fillmore Academic Core, Ellicott Complex, North Campus
Phone: (716) 645-2414
In brief: Although the museum was formally opened to the public in 1979, the idea for its formation dates to the 1960s, when the late Marian E. White, a well-known archaeologist and UB anthropology professor, established the groundwork for a departmental museum. University excavations, private donations and state-supported contract archaeology have all contributed to the museumÕs holdings.
Highlights: More than 95 percent of the collection is from Western New York. One of the most visible displays is the 45-foot totem pole, carved commercially around 1904 by the Haida, Native Americans from the northwest coast of North America.
Hours: By appointment
photography by Paul Francis