Working @ UB
Business Day set for Oct. 17
Business Day 2012, the annual day of training, information gathering and networking presented by University Business Services, will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 17 in the Ramada Hotel & Conference Center, 2402 North Forest Road, Getzville, adjacent to the UB North Campus.
This year’s theme is “Knowledge Partnerships.”
The event will feature workshop sessions on new business systems, requirements, processes and other current topics to help participants work more effectively, as well as UB and vendor information tables, prizes, refreshments and networking opportunities.
Visit the Business Day website for the workshop schedule and registration. Deadline for registration is Oct. 8.
PSS offering mentoring program
The Professional Staff Senate is looking for professional staff members to participate in its mentoring program.
The goal of the program is to provide formal or informal mentoring to UB professional staff. The program will match protégés with mentors from UB’s professional staff who have the experience, knowledge and insight to assist the protégé in meeting his or her goals in technical, career, leadership or professional development areas.
Both mentors and protégés are needed.
More information, guidelines and application forms for both mentors and protégés are available on the PSS website. The deadline for prospective mentors is Oct. 9; prospective protégés are asked to submit their applications between Oct. 9 and Oct. 22.
An orientation session for the teams will be scheduled in mid-November.
Smoking cessation programs offered
Wellness Education Services is offering a variety of smoking cessation workshops and programs this semester for faculty, staff and students.
All are free of charge.
- Plan Your Quit: A Smoking Cessation Workshop: 12:30-1:30 p.m., Oct. 11, 250 Student Union. Smokers ready to “jump start their quit” will receive tips, tools and resources, as well as the support of former smokers, to get their quit off to a strong start. Free quit mints, stress-reliever tools, nicotine gum, lozenges and patches will be provided.
- Great American Smokeout Quit Smoking Workshop: 4-5 p.m., Nov. 14, 250 Student Union. Join with others who will quit smoking on Nov. 15, the Great American Smokeout.
- Great American Smokeout event: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Nov. 15, 145 Student Union. The American Cancer Society sponsors the Great American Smokeout every November to stop the use of tobacco and raise awareness about the dangers of smoking and the many effective ways available to quit smoking. Stop in for free nicotine-replacement medications, quitting tips, games, snacks and more.
- Weekly Quit Smoking Drop-in Clinics: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Thursdays and Fridays, 114 Student Union. Staff will assist smokers in making a plan to quit smoking or get support to continue not smoking; learn how to cope with stress, personal smoking triggers and nicotine withdrawal. Free nicotine patches, gum and lozenges will be available.
Conference to examine ‘systemness’
“Harnessing Systemness, Delivering Performance,” a conference presented by SUNY system administration to discuss new ways the SUNY system model can be retooled to meet the economic and political challenges of the future, will be held Nov. 8-9 in New York City.
Co-sponsors are NASH (National Association of System Heads), the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities, and the TIAA-CREF Institute.
The conference, the “2012 Critical Issues in Higher Education Conference,” will be held in the Millennium Broadway Hotel, 145 West 44th St. in Manhattan. The registration fee is $250.
For further information and to register, visit the conference website.
More Working @ UB
- Time to change health insurance; Donate vacation time to Sandy victims
- Mentors sought for international students
- Change in Outlook web access; Holiday closures; Have lunch at Crossroads; Donate vacation days
- Flex account deadline extended; Networking session set; Join the Polar Plunge
- Beakers 'n Beer; Great American Smokeout