Learn how to use Microsoft Outlook or another email program to send and recceive your UBmail for Faculty and Staff.
Note: In many cases, your IT support staff will set up your UBmail for you.
Applies to: Office 2019, 2016, 2013 or 2010 for Windows
1. Open Outlook.
2. On the Auto Account Setup page, Outlook may try to automatically fill in the Your Name and E-mail Address settings based on how you're logged on to your computer.
3. Click Next on the Auto Account Setup page of the wizard.
4. Outlook performs an autodiscover to find your Exchange email server settings. Click Allow.
5. You may be required to log on to the Exchange server once your mailbox is discovered. If so:
6. If Outlook is able to set up your account, you'll see the following: Your e-mail account is successfully configured. Click Finish.
Winmail.dat attachments cannot be read by most other email clients, including Outlook for Macintosh. Set Outlook to send messages in HTML format instead:
Meeting requests or voting buttons may not work with this setting, but you can override the format on select messages.
Applies to: Mac OS X.9 and higher
1. Launch Mac Mail application. If the Add Account dialogue appears, skip to step 5.
2. Select Mail > Preferences.
3. Select the Accounts tab.
4. Click on the + under the Accounts list window to set up a new email account. This will begin the Add Account dialogue.
5. Select Exchange from the choice list. Click Continue.
6. Enter your Full Name, buffalo.edu email address, and UBIT password in the appropriate fields, then click Continue or Sign In. This will start the Autodiscovery process.
7. Once Autodiscovery is complete, an Account Summary will appear. Click Continue (if available).
8. Select the apps you wish to use through the Mac Mail program, then click Done.
Outlook for Mac is the preferred desktop program for a shared email situation, i.e. an assistant needs access to someone else's email. Outlook clients do this automatically. Apple’s native mail client Mac Mail does not. If you choose to use Mac Mail, you must configure it for IMAP.
Mac Mail on Mac OS X 10.9 and below does not appear to work with shared email. As an alternative, you can:
Tested on Apple's Mac Mail v 11.2 - 3445.5.20.
These steps are to configure the Mac Mail client so that another mailbox (which you have full access to) can be seen inside your current profile.
If you have a password for the shared mailbox, do not follow these steps. Use one of the Mac Mail OS X configuration steps in the sections above instead.