Using My Virtual Computing Lab from a Macintosh computer
requires a special remote desktop app that you download from
Microsoft. You can access the software in My Virtual Computing Lab
using this app, as well as save work to your UBfs Myfiles (S:
drive), your local hard drive (Macintosh HD) or any connected
drives and print to any connected printer.
My Virtual Computing Lab is available for use by current UB
students, as well as faculty and staff paid by UB. It is not
available for use by retirees, alumni or employees paid by sources
other than UB.
To run Remote Desktop, you need:
- Operating System: OS X 10.5 or above
- Hardware: Intel processor
- On-campus: A secure connection using wired ResNet, an
OpenPort or UB Secure Wi-Fi
- Off-campus: A connection using the off-campus VPN client
Connect to My Virtual Computing Lab using Remote Desktop.
- Select Finder > Applications > Remote
- In the Menu Bar, anchored to the top of the screen,
click RDC > Preferences.
- To make your UBfs Myfiles space (S: drive) and any connected
drives available during your remote session, click the Drives
tab, then select All disk drives from the dropdown
- To make your connected printers available during your remote
session, click the Printers tab. Make sure the box next to
Use a printer that is connected to the Mac is checked. From
the dropdown menu, select the printer you wish to use, or select
- Click the red circle in the upper left of the Preferences
window when you have finished setting your options (it is not
labeled). The window closes.
- To save these settings for future connections, in the top
Menu Bar click File > Save. If you do not
save the settings at this time, you will be given another
opportunity to save them when you exit the remote session. The next
time you launch the Remote Desktop Connection, your most recently
saved settings will be used.
- In the box next to Computer, type
- Click Connect.
- A window appears warning you that, "You are sharing your Mac
hard disks with a Windows-based computer." Click
- In the window which says Enter your credentials, enter
the following information:
- User name: your UBITName
- Password: your UBIT Password
- Domain: ad
- Click OK.
You are now connected to My Virtual Computing Lab.