Configure your Windows XP computer to connect to the Residential
Network. ResNet allows you to connect to the UB Network and the
Internet from within UB residence halls and campus apartments using
a wired Ethernet connection.
Once you arrive on campus you must register your
computer, router or gaming console before you can
connect to ResNet.
To use ResNet, you need:
- A 10/100 Ethernet card suitable for your computer
- A category 5 Ethernet cable
- Right-click the Taskbar, then
- Click the Start Menu tab. Determine whether
your computer is using the Start menu setting or the Classic Start
- Navigate to the start menu setting by selecting Start >
- Navigate to the Classic Start menu setting by selecting
Start >Settings > Control Panel.
- The control panel will be configure for either Category View or
Classic View. Determine which view it is configured for and follow
the respective directions.
- For Catergory View: click Network and Internet
Connections, then click Network Connections.
- For Classic View: double-click Network Connections.
- In the Network Connections window, right-click once on
the icon representing your Ethernet card, below the label LAN or
High Speed Internet, then click Properties.
- In the Local Area Connection Properties window,
click once on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) to
select it (making sure that you do not uncheck it), then
- In the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window that
appears, select the options Obtain an IP address
automatically and Obtain DNS server address
automatically. Click Advanced.
- Deselect the box for Register this
connection's addresses in DNS. Continue
clicking OK to accept all changes until you return
to the Network Connections window.
You are now connected and can access the Internet.