Configure your Windows 8 computer to connect to the Residential
Network. ResNet allows you to connect to the UB Network and the
Internet from within UB residence halls and campus apartments using
a wired Ethernet connection.
Once you arrive on campus you must register your computer,
router or gaming console before you can connect to
To connect to ResNet you need:
- A computer with integrated Ethernet
- A category 5 Ethernet cable
- Swipe or mouse to the top corner of the right side of your
device display. The Charms Bar will appear.
- Click the Search Charm.
- Swipe left or press Esc to close the Charms bar.
- In the Apps area, under Windows System, tap or click Control
- Tap or click Network and Internet.
- Tap or click Network and Sharing Center.
- In the menu on the left select Change adapter
- Right-click on the Local Area Connection icon. Select
- In the Local Area Connection Properties window, click
once on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) (making sure
that you do not uncheck it), then click Properties.
- In the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties
window, select Obtain an IP address automatically and
Obtain DNS server address automatically. Click
- Deselect Register this connection's addresses in DNS,
then click OK until you return to the Network
You are now connected and can access the Internet.