Configure your Windows 7 computer for a secure connection to the
UB network on campus.
UB Secure is the recommended access choice for
connecting to UB's campus network. Your UBITName and password and
all data transmitted from your device to the wireless access point
(the campus network) are encrypted.
1. Select Start > Control Panel > Network and
Internet, then Network and Sharing Center.
2. Select Manage Wireless Networks. If UB_Wireless
is displayed, remove it so you do not automatically connect to this
network. (You can add it back later.)
3. Select Add.
4. Select Manually Create a Network Profile in the
5. Complete the following:
- Enter UB_Secure for Network name.
- Select WPA-2 Enterprise for Security type.
- Select AES for Encryption type.
- Leave Security Key/Passphrase blank.
- Deselect Start this connection automatically. You
can return after completing the setup to activate this setting.
Selecting the option now interferes with the setup.
6. Click Next.
7. Select Change connection settings. Select
the Security tab. Select Microsoft:
Protected EAP (PEAP) in the network authentication
field. Click Settings.
8. Select Validate server certificate. In the
Trusted Root Certification Authorities section, select
the Entrust certificates listed. (You may not see
an option.) Deselect Enable Fast Reconnect. In the
Authentication Method field select Secured Password
(EAP-MSCHAP v2). Click Configure.
9. Deselect Automatically use my Windows logon
name and password (and domain if any).
10. Click OK. Click OK.
11. Select Close.
12. Select Networking and Sharing Center.
13. Select Connect to a Network and
double-click UB_Secure. If you did not have an Entrust
certification option in Step 8, you will receive the error,
“The connection attempt could not be complete.”
Select Connect from the dialog box. After the
connection fails, return to the screen in Step 8 and select
the Entrust certificate option, then complete
Steps 9-12 again.
14. Use your UBITName and password to log into all
15. If desired, return to the screen in Step 5 and
select Start this connection automatically.