Configure your Mac OS X computer running Mac OS X through version 10.6 for a secure connection to the UB network on campus.
These instructions are only for Macintosh computers running Mac OS X 10.6 and below.
UB Secure is the recommended access choice for
connecting to UB's campus network. Your UBITName and password and
all data transmitted from your device to the wireless access point
(the campus network) are encrypted.
Secure WiFiSetup instead to configure and stay automatically
connected anytime you’re on campus.
Use the manual instructions below only if UB Secure WiFiSetup
doesn't work for your device.
1. From the Apple menu,
select System Preferences. Select Network.
Click on AirPort on the left. Make sure the
AirPort is on (The button will read Turn AirPort Off when the
AirPort is on). Select Ask to join new networks.
2. Click the 802.1X tab. Click the
plus sign (+) in the lower left corner of the window, then
select Add User Profile.
3. Enter the following into the fields:
4. Select Automatic in the Wireless
Network field. Deselect TTLS. Make
sure PEAP is the only option selected.
5. Select the AirPort tab.
6. Click the plus (+) sign underneath Preferred
networks. In the Network Name field
enter UB_Secure. Select WPA2 Enterprise in
the Security field. Additional fields will appear. In the
User Name field enter your UBITName. In the Password
field enter your UBIT password. SelectWPA: UB_Secure in
the 802.1X field. Select Remember this network.
Click Add. Click OK.
7. Select UB_Secure in the Preferred
Networks window. Click and hold it, dragging it so it is the
first entry in the list of Preferred Networks. Make
sure Remember any network this computer has
joined is selected. Click OK.
8. Select UB_Secure in the Network Name drop-down. Click Apply.
9. Open a web browser. You may be asked to Verify Certificate. Click Continue. You may have to disconnect and reconnect to UB_Secure to see this prompt; network access will not occur without selecting Continue.
Clearing Network Preferences and Keychain
When you no longer want access to UB_Secure, such as after you
graduate from UB, you can clear it from your Network. You must
clear both Network Preferences and the Keychain.
1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences. Select Network.
2. Click on the AirPort on the left. Turn the AirPort on (The button will read Turn AirPort On when the AirPort is off). Select AirPort on the left navigation pane. Deselect Ask to join new networks. Click Advanced.
3. Select the AirPort tab. Select UB_Secure in the Preferred Networks list. Deselect Remember any network this computer has joined. Click the minus sign (-) underneath the preferred networks list.
4. Select the 802.1X tab. Expand the User Profiles by clicking the triangle next to it. Select any instances that include UB_Secure in the name, then select the minus sign (-) in the lower left corner of the window. You may not have any instances remaining when you check this. Click OK. Click Apply.
5. Open the Finder. Select File > New
Finder Window. Select Applications >
Utilities. Double-click Keychain Access.
6. Select login on the left pane and All
Items in the lower left category pane. Select any instances
that say UB_Secure, then press the Delete key on your
keyboard. Select the Delete button that will appear to
confirm you want to delete it.
7. Restart your computer when you have finished removing